locomotives for dummies

Advert

locomotives for dummies

Home Forums Books locomotives for dummies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dismaldunc
    Participant
      @dismaldunc

Hi chaps, I have built a couple of elmers delightful engines and a couple of Stuart kits, and was looking into what goes into building summat like a "Tich"

However there are many bits that befuddle me apparently steam trains have "horns" when I thought they have whistles wink I also haven't a clue what " petticoat pipes are or many other bits and bobs that make the wheels on the train go round and round.

I did look at buying the LBSC book but its a dear doo for an initial poke around. So any suggestions of a good book will be gratefully received.

Whatever I do build I will be all on my lonesome (apart from pestering you kind people) as I live on a scottish island and there is no club, so I suppose I would have to have the boiler made for me.

Thanks

Dunc

Advert
      Dismaldunc
      Participant
        @dismaldunc

recommended reading for a noob

Another JohnS
        Participant
          @anotherjohns

Dunc;

Firstly, I love the Tich design, although others will disparage it – too small, too complex, too large (that's the gauge 1 crowd).

I'd think that if you have made a couple of stuart kits, a Tich would be fairly easy for you. Remember that there are quite a few variations of Tich; 3 boilers, at least 3 valve gears. My first locomotive was a "large boilered, slip eccentric geared" Tich, and she's still going strong, although the paint isn't!

I built 2 Tich boilers; the first almost in line with LBSC's writings; nutted firebox stays, etc, and I did not even know how to anneal copper at the time. It was a failure, but I learnt a LOT about it, so Tich boiler #2 (from a "Reeves" kit) took 11 hours to complete, and its still going strong.

Books? Do you have Model Engineer? Lots of info in there, but you may have to read between the lines. I don't know if I'd worry about the Tich book – it is entertaining, but you probably know enough already.

Another JohnS.

Colin Abrey
          Participant
            @colinabrey20074

Duncan,

The Model Steam Locomotive by Martin Evans covers most aspects of locomotives. You could also try Beginner's Guide to Model Steam Locomotives by Tim Coles.

Hope this helps.

Colin

Dismaldunc
            Participant
              @dismaldunc

Thanks chaps, I did not know there were flavours of tich and have requested mr Coles book as my early Xmas prezzie, sorry for the delay replying, had broadband prob .

Dunc

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)