Lathe, lowest speed?

Advert

Lathe, lowest speed?

Home Forums Manual machine tools Lathe, lowest speed?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Goran Hosinsky
    Participant
      @goranhosinsky61367
      Advert
      Goran Hosinsky
      Participant
        @goranhosinsky61367

I have to modify the motor setup of my Chinese lathe and would like to take the oportunity to add  a somewhat lower minimum speed than the present 115 RPM. What bottom speed should I aim for? 50 RPM looks to be fairly easy to reach but I see, that the Myfords go down to 30 RPM, which would be rather more difficult, but probably doable.

Goran
        Canary Islands

KWIL
        Participant
          @kwil

If you fit a three phase motor and use an Inverter you can run it as slow as you like, provided that you watch the motor temperature. I use an almost stopped speed to clock under power.

Goran Hosinsky
          Participant
            @goranhosinsky61367
            Yes, but I am looking for a locally available, cheaper solution
            Tony Pratt 1
            Participant
              @tonypratt1
              Hi, from my experience 50 rpm will be fine. Obviously there will always be that job which needs a slower speed but not too often.

Tony
              Keith Long
              Participant
                @keithlong89920
                Hi Goran
                As Tony says 50 rpm should be OK, if you want to do screw cutting you may want to go lower, but an alternative would be to rig a handle to allow you to turn the lathe over by hand and cut the threads that way. Cutting threads shouldn’t take much power (effort) as too big a cut, you’ll probably snap the tool anyway.
                If you want to go to lower (powered) speeds then I think the easiest way, if your changing the motor arrangement, would be to put in either a very big pulley as the input to a counter-shaft from the motor or look at rigging a two stage counter-shaft system.
                Which Island are you on?
                Keith
                Goran Hosinsky
                Participant
                  @goranhosinsky61367
                  With pulley for 50 rpm I do not need to change the protective cover, for 30 rpm I have to modify or make a new on.

Isla San Miguel de La Palma, the island with the big observatory
                  Goran
                  Gordon W
                  Participant
                    @gordonw
                    I’ve just fitted a bigger pulley to my small lathe. Bored out inside to fit over existing pulley, scewed flat plate to outside of new pulley, tapped 4 holes in existing pulley (just missed the second V), this gives me about 60 rpm. Need a longer belt, and end cover has to open, or modify to suit. The new big pulley has a flat top, not Veed, and works OK. I use a mandrel handle for screwing, for short threads, this works fine. Big pulley can even be made from good plywood.
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)