Lathe headstock bearing access

Advert

Lathe headstock bearing access

Home Forums Manual machine tools Lathe headstock bearing access

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Hurley
    Participant
      @mikehurley60381

I need access to a bearing in the headstock of my old BV-20 lathe. The ends of all he gear trains are covered by a ‘plug’ which I need to remove. Each has a small (5mm) tapped hole in the centre.

I assumed this thread woud allow me to either a) fit a screw and use it to ‘jack’ the plug off or (b fit a lashed-up extractor to pull it off. Neither method has been successful. The threadsize is so small I don’t dare put to much force on it as it’s so light it may just shear off (have tried until I literally couldn’t turn the allen key any more.)

So, anybody seen / done this before? It seems overkill to start drilling holes / applying excessive force at this stage. Any suggestions appreciated

Mike

IMG_20241005_164350866IMG_20241005_164257888

Advert
      mgnbuk
      Participant
        @mgnbuk

That style of plug was usually removed with a slide hammer when I used to work with such things. All the fitters had some form of slide hammer in their toolboxes – usually “home made”  and with interchangeable threaded ends to suit different applications.

Nigel B.

Mike Hurley
        Participant
          @mikehurley60381

Many thanks Nigel, hadn’t thought of that one. I’ll lash something up when I have chance and give it a go.

Regards Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)