Lathe bearings

Advert

Lathe bearings

Home Forums Beginners questions Lathe bearings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steve355
    Participant
      @steve355
      Advert
      Steve355
      Participant
        @steve355

Hi

After having experienced 0.0015 runout on my lathe spindle recently I decided to change the bearing bushes. It’s quite easy to whip the spindle out on a Zyto, and the bushes were cheap, so I thought it’s probably worth it. I got halfway through and found that 1) I’d ordered the right size (achievement) but 2) the oil hole is not 90% offset from the split – so I can’t line up the oil hole and the split simultaneously- it’s one or the other.

The type I managed to get (rightly or wrongly) is as pic below, with a pfte lining I believe.

Any ideas what I should do?

Thanks

Steve

d8f40018-e3a7-45a8-8982-732f2fc18519.jpeg

Chris Gunn
        Participant
          @chrisgunn36534

Gently drill through the existing hole into the bush when it is in position and remove any burrs.

Chris Gunn

mgnbuk
          Participant
            @mgnbuk

What you have there is a Glacier DX bush, which is polymer not PTFE lined.

If you wanted the PTFE lined type you wanted a DU bush. The DU lining isn't dimpled for lubricant retention & is a bronzey-beige colour.

DX bushes must be lubricated (oil or grease) – DU bushes can be used dry or lubricated.

As Chris said, just drill the hole where you need it & debur – which may be easier said than done, depending on the bush diameter.

Nigel B.

Howard Lewis
            Participant
              @howardlewis46836

Drilling through might produce burrs, which will do more harm than good.

In my book the ability to lubricate is far more important than the position of the split line.

If you reverse the bush, does that bring the split into your desired alignment with the oil hole?

Howard

Steve355
              Participant
                @steve355

Too late Howard, I’d already drilled the holes! De-burring wasn’t easy on the inside surface.

Bit of a disaster though, when I got it back together it was way too stiff. Took me 1/2 hr to get it back out again. Luckily I don’t think I damaged anything. I’m not sure what’s wrong, there’s plenty of oil in there.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)