JPEG Slide Show

Advert

JPEG Slide Show

Home Forums The Tea Room JPEG Slide Show

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

I’m putting some JPEG files from my holiday on a data stick to view them on my TV.

I have so far separated the photos by *day into their own folder. I’ll be renumbering them so they view in the correct order, 001, 002 etc. Eventually all the pictures will be in one folder for convenience. I would though like to keep some obvious difference in the file name for each day.
      If I name day one files A001 to say A101 and day two files B001 upwards etc will they play in the correct order?

*I should add that the original files came from two different cameras, two different iPhones and some had to be converted from HEIC.

Advert
      Nigel Graham 2
      Participant
        @nigelgraham2

It should do, but I would experiment with a just a few files first to see how your system behaves. It may differ between OS.

The instrument used to take the photos should not matter but I have found even with consistent file-types (e.g. all .bmp or all .jpg), the OS may not play. Certainly anything starting ‘MS WIN-‘ and especially W11, sometimes randomly refuses to recognise some files as “unsupported type”, hence my advice to test your system with a few before embarking on archiving the lot.

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Umm,  the TV is a computer, and under the bonnet it will support several sort options.   Such as alphabetic filename, by creation date, by last modified date, by file size, or by owner.  These can be grouped (size within owner etc), and reversed (oldest first vs newest first).

On a TV, it’s likely that an application will decide the play order, perhaps using image metadata rather than operating system file information.   If so, the application will probably allow the user to choose.

My telly is long in the tooth and not terrifically clever!  Just tried on a USB stick without reading the manual, and by default it appears to display jpegs in last modified date-time order, oldest first.   Bit surprised, I expected it to sort on filename A-Z because that’s less surprising.

Try yours with a memory stick containing 5 or 6 photos and see what it does!

Dave

Diogenes
          Participant
            @diogenes

Don’t know about telly logic, but I’ve archived some photo’s in my time.. I’d run a consecutive series of numbers for each day, eg. Day One all begin with ‘1’, so make that series say 100-199, Day 2; 200-299, Day 3; 300-399, and so-on.

Simplest (& least likely to result in snafu) method of keeping a unique identifier for each picture that still references the day.

David Ambrose
            Participant
              @davidambrose86182

My twelve-year old Panasonic won’t display my images in file number sequence.  Nor will it show images over about 1Mb, which is not much use.

Vic
              Participant
                @vic

Update: I decided to give it a try. Adding a B in front of the file number did indeed keep them in the correct order. I’ll therefore add C, D and E etc to subsequent files for the respective days.

As an aside. I’m beginning to wonder if carrying a camera round with me on holiday is actually worth it anymore. The pictures from my iPhone 12 are very good and you can’t tell on my TV which pictures were taken on which device.

Peter Cook 6
                Participant
                  @petercook6

If you are renaming lots of files, and want to sequentially number or letter them, there is a very useful program, free for personal/domestic use, called Bulk Rename Utility It takes a bit of getting to grips with, but it will rename files either in place or move them elsewhere, and gives a huge range of possibilities to manipulate names, extensions, dates, times etc.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)