John Penn trunk engine

Advert

John Penn trunk engine

Home Forums Model Boats John Penn trunk engine

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jonathan heppel
    Participant
      @jonathanheppel43280

Hello all. I have an irrational dislike of crossheads and would like to build a John Penn trunk engine, such as the Crimean war survivor from the SS Xantho in Oz. Has anyone built one of these and are there any drawings available? It is such an iconic engine that there should be lots of info but I haven't found much online.

I've seen Rich Carlstedt's superb USS Monitor engine but it's not the same.

I'll try the WA museum also but I thought I'd ask here first.

Advert
      jonathan heppel
      Participant
        @jonathanheppel43280
        Roderick Jenkins
        Participant
          @roderickjenkins93242

Hi,

It might be worth repeating your request at MEM. A very friendly and knowledgeable bunch of people.

Rod

jonathan heppel
          Participant
            @jonathanheppel43280
            Posted by Roderick Jenkins on 13/01/2014 13:02:35:

Hi,

It might be worth repeating your request at MEM. A very friendly and knowledgeable bunch of people.

Rod

Thanks for the link, lots of help and interest from that site. Funnily enough, ME did an article on it in the 3rd June 1994 issue, front page and all!

Considering the quantities of beam, marine and stationary engines out there I'm surprised that there seem to be so few of this type, particularly since they look perfectly doable without castings or cnc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)