JDW Grasshopper engine

Advert

JDW Grasshopper engine

Home Forums Stationary engines JDW Grasshopper engine

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    duncan webster 1
    Participant
      @duncanwebster1

As Jason has found, if you attach the right hand end of the beam to a vertical link and constrain the left hand end to go in a straight vertical line it locks up. If we take the vertical link to be 3 long, and the other dimensions as my previous post, the top of the vertical link moves back and to by 0.1022. If we get a bit clever and move the fixed bottom pivot across to the left by half of this, the vertical link will swing plus and minus asin(0.1022/2/2)=0.98 degrees. The top of the vertical link will now be in the right position at top middle and bottom of the stroke, in between it will be too high by 3*(1-cos(0.98))=0.00044, and the left hand end will describe a very shallow S shape. I could work out how much it deviates from a straight line, but it's a lot more difficult than what has gone before, so I'm not going to. If you make the vertical link too short it might start to become significant, but all the full size grasshoppers I've seen had long vertical links.

Advert
      GeoffT
      Participant
        @geofft

Have completed the engine and it runs on compressed air. Just need to make proper keep pins for the ends of shafts and fit gaskets, then strip and paint.

Jason, I made the side link hole centres at 85.5mm as advised and this works ok, so thanks again.

Apologies if photos are in wrong orientation.

Geoff

20221112_132316.jpg20221112_132306.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 12/11/2022 15:07:42

JasonB
          @jasonb

Looks to have turned out well and good to know it ran with the changed sizes.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)