is this motor suitable for a milling machine

Advert

is this motor suitable for a milling machine

Home Forums Manual machine tools is this motor suitable for a milling machine

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Andy Holdaway
    Participant
      @andyholdaway

Mark, your sketch is correct for a 230v 3 phase setup to run from a single to three phase inverter. If the motor runs the wrong way, swap any two of the wires from the inverter to the motor.

Andy

Advert
      Emgee
      Participant
        @emgee

Mark, the isolator you linked to should be OK but don't forget to connect both ends of the cable metal braid for continuity of protection, either use earthing rings with connecting conductor or take the tails into the enclosure and connect at the earthing terminal with the cpc's (g/y earth cables)

Emgee

Andy Ash
        Participant
          @andyash24902

From what you show it seems correct, but my meter probes won't reach your motor from here. Unfortunately I can't say you won't burn your house down!

Good luck.

smiley

Edited By Andy Ash on 03/08/2016 22:30:26

mark smith 20
          Participant
            @marksmith20

Andy thanks for the confirmation,ill blame you if i blow myself up!!!smiley

Emgee ,thanks for the info,ill try and follow the advice correctly.

One question is the screw in the middle of the terminal box (middle of black area going into motor housing) on the motor the one to secure down a terminal block??

I assume the one to the side is the earth?

s-l1600a.jpg

mark smith 20
            Participant
              @marksmith20

Hi , Im wanting to test the motor and inverter off the machine as im no way ready as the machines in pieces being cleaned up. Would a 2hp motor and inverter run off a normal 13 amp plug just for testing purposes.

The inverter says input current 17.8 amps but as there will be no load on the motor would i be ok ?

Or will i need to have it wired into the consumer unit through the mccb before i can safely test it to just see that both motor and inverter are at least working?

Thanks

Martin Connelly
              Participant
                @martinconnelly55370

The 17.8 amps may be inrush current when first switched on as capacitors are charged, these inverters have quite high capacity ones inside. The current draw when running will depend on the motor and load but should be proportional to the load the motor is taking. I would give it a go and see what happens. If it trips a circuit breaker then reset it and try again, if it is capacitors being charged then once they are full the inrush current will drop off.

There is a possibility that the maximum current given is for an inverter with a motor matched to its maximum output and set up to run at startup. Most default to not running at startup but if you have one set up in a factory where power trips regularly you may want automatic restart when power is restored.

Martin

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)