Irwin Record vice swivel base

Advert

Irwin Record vice swivel base

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Irwin Record vice swivel base

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bill Phinn
    Participant
      @billphinn90025
      Posted by AJW on 21/06/2021 20:54:10:

Well the beastie arrived today, what a lump!

Alan

It'd be good to see a photo or two, Alan!

Advert
      not done it yet
      Participant
        @notdoneityet

Here is one. Just click on the small pic to see it full screen.

**LINK**

Bill Phinn
        Participant
          @billphinn90025
          Posted by not done it yet on 21/06/2021 22:25:25:

Here is one. Just click on the small pic to see it full screen.

**LINK**

I was mainly interested in seeing what Alan does to make it able to "rotate by about 30 degree[s]".

not done it yet
          Participant
            @notdoneityet

I assumed, from his post, that he would drill holes to mount the vise in the normal orientation, then use one bolt hole as a fulcrum to swivel the vise by about thirty degrees and drill bolt holes when in that position, to secure it.

If adjustable between ‘zero’ and thirty degrees he would need a curved(?) slot (or slots), not drilled holes, for one or two of the fixings.

Mike Poole
            Participant
              @mikepoole82104
              Posted by AJW on 21/06/2021 21:27:34:

My Dad used to work at STC in Woolwich back in the day and would relate that story of the guy going out past the gatehouse when his plan failed!

Not the sort of thing you would want hanging round your neck!

Alan

I wonder if the story is true? It has spread well if Oxford and Woolwich are covered although my grandmother was from Woolwich I doubt she ever heard the tale.

Mike

not done it yet
              Participant
                @notdoneityet

Three night shifts was enough to get half a dozen new pistons, for a 6 cylinder engine, out of the factory – two per night hanging round their neck down in their baggy trousers. This would be 60-70 years ago.

I’ve no idea if they had over-size pistons at the Vauxhall Luton factory (standard pistons in old bores is not ideal) but better than old ones I suppose….

AJW
                Participant
                  @ajw

Yes the idea was that the left bolt stayed where it was and additional fixings added to my bench to fix the vice at 30 degrees (ish) Nuts welded to a plate underneath the bench top so I would only have to move 2 bolts and loosen/tighten the third. M12 fixings purchased today, bench top all marked out but, I seem to have got involved in re finishing the car wheels!

Will post photo's when back on the vice project.

Alan

AJW
                  Participant
                    @ajw

img_20210623_195355189_hdr.jpgFinished last pair of wheels so got to drilling bench top for new vice. It's held down with 3 M12 bolts with a plate underneath to spread the load.

Drilled an extra pair of holes so the vice can be swung around it's left foot and bolts dropped in the extra holes. Not sure of the angle but it's such that anything 'long' can stick out through workshop door!

Love the jaw opening, a full 7 inches. Have used graphite grease on the leadscrew and nut but so far haven't applied any lubrication to the slideways (not like me, I lubricate everything!) for fear of attracting dirt – what's the general opinion on vice lubrication?

Alanimg_20210623_195008073_hdr.jpg

Mike Poole
                    Participant
                      @mikepoole82104

The screw and it’s thrust areas need lubricant but I don’t grease the guides although they are generally covered in an oily film and seem to require no more than to be generally oily. Excess lubricant is just going to pick up dirt and be more of a problem than a benefit. I see the design has changed from my version, the mounting bolts now have slots rather than holes on my vintage.

Mike

Edited By Mike Poole on 23/06/2021 23:25:23

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)