Injector Tanks.

Advert

Injector Tanks.

Home Forums Locomotives Injector Tanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keith Bloor
    Participant
      @keithbloor37728

On my 5" Jinty there are 2 injectors and a hand pump. The injectors are fed from a rear bunker tank. I normally run these without filters because they would be quite awkward to get at for cleaning. I have the engine in the workshop at this time and on taking the tank to pieces I find a fair amount of scale. The water at the club is obviously quite hard. Does anyone know of a paint that I could use on the inside of the tanks?.

Advert
      Keith Bloor
      Participant
        @keithbloor37728
        Mark P.
        Participant
          @markp

Could you fit inline filters, just a thought.

Mark P.

noel shelley
          Participant
            @noelshelley55608

Galvafroid ! Use rain water as feed and as Mark has said make or buy in line filters. Noel.

Baz
            Participant
              @baz89810

I painted the inside of a small five inch saddle tank, the tank was an ally casting and I used Precision Paints etch primer and their gloss cream paint, looked lovely but once water was in it was a different matter, the paint started coming away. The tank was removed and the paint stripped off the inside back to bare metal and coated with West Systems epoxy, I drain the tank after use and after a couple of years use it seems fine.

Speedy Builder5
              Participant
                @speedybuilder5

Why do you want to paint them ? It wouldn't prevent scale build up. Is the paint to protect against erosion (Rust or other oxidation).

Bob

Nigel Graham 2
                Participant
                  @nigelgraham2

You could fit a filter in the line, or better for appearance, make it to screw into the tank bush so the gauze is inside the tank. The latter having the advantages of being hidden and taking no space around the loco, while still reasonably accessible for cleaning.

If the tank is of brass, the usual for smaller scale locomotives, it does not need internal paint; and as Baz found with his, it can create more trouble than it solves.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)