Inconsistent access to MEW archive

Advert

Inconsistent access to MEW archive

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Inconsistent access to MEW archive

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Russell Eberhardt
    Participant
      @russelleberhardt48058

I can understand MTM's reluctance to pay for the effort of translating the archive material from Flash to HTML5 given that the income from that would be practically zero. However, I presume that they have access to the original scans in PDF format or something easily translated.

The argument against making the archive available in an easily saved format is that it would help the pirates. On the contrary, assuming pirate copies are already in the wild, it would reduce the income of the pirates as their pirate copies would become worthless. Putting PDF copies on the site would be a very simple exercise and cost very little. Agreed there will be little return except for keeping their customer base happy.

Russell

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133
        Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 21/04/2020 10:16:36:

[…] there will be little return except for keeping their customer base happy.

Which is generally estimated to be about ten times more cost-effective than recruiting new customers.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Correction: typical figures seem to be around 6x these days.

MichaelG.

Enough!
          Participant
            @enough
            Posted by Colin Wilks on 21/04/2020 08:01:50:

If I download a pdf I am fairly sure Adobe has the wherewithal to stamp my copy so if I start selling them off down the virtual pub you can get me bang to rights.

…. yet would it be economically viable to do so?

What I think ought to be possible – probably need Adobe to do it – is to have a pdf that will "lock" itself to the machine that it is downloaded to and refuse to open on any other.

Hey, computers can do anything with the right programming can't they?

Colin Wilks
            Participant
              @colinwilks45682

I was being ironic about the MEW private eye tracking me down to exact justice. I assume MEW would like me to renew my three month digital subscription when it expires in June. It provides a 100% contribution to their fixed costs. Will I do so with only limited access to the archive? Not sure.

Incidentally, Adobe PDF docs can be time limited, i.e. they can be made to go phutt after a set number of days or weeks. I think that might sort it, and pdf has an excellent search utility.

Enough!
              Participant
                @enough
                Posted by Colin Wilks on 21/04/2020 19:04:17:

I was being ironic about the MEW private eye tracking me down to exact justice.

Ah, I see. That old adjective "ironic" – always miss that.

My apologies, Colin … it wasn't obvious to me.

smiley

Edited By Bandersnatch on 21/04/2020 22:59:32

Colin Wilks
                Participant
                  @colinwilks45682

I am quite sure I miss a lot more irony than I'd like to think I do. However, it's probably much less socially disastrous to assume someone's being serious when they're not than to reckon somebody is having a laugh when they are in fact being deadly serious.

JasonB
                    @jasonb

Colin if you want an index of articles then this one should help an at least point you to the right issue and page.

derek hall 1
                    Participant
                      @derekhall1

Hi all

I am dithering on taking up the latest offer to subscribe. One of the attractive things for me though is access to the archive, and possibly the potential to print off articles….and that in itself seems problematic.

It does appear though that there are difficulties with reading or accessing the archives, I am not very computer literate and I am reasonably confident that I would not have the skills, or the patience! to be able to resolve it. I find trying to resolve silly issues with computers a frustrating time wasting exercise to be honest. There seems to be too many variables that needs to be in place before a user can access these archives, it must be a simple way isn't there?

I am in the process of culling my old copies of ME and extracting useful information that interests me. I am not sure if I want to start collecting more hard copies (even if it is MEW!) Hence the choice of digital format plus archives is my preferred option but……

Regards to all

Derek

Michael Gilligan
                      Participant
                        @michaelgilligan61133
                        Posted by derek hall 1 on 22/04/2020 10:59:57:

but……

Neatly summed-up in one word, Derek yes

MichaelG.

Colin Wilks
                        Participant
                          @colinwilks45682

Thanks Jason, good tip on the index. The problem of the text resolution remains, for me at least.

I think Derek Hall and I are of a mind and so wonder if we are typical of the majority of the readership? If we are, converting the Flash dependent archive to pdf would seem a good way of rewarding loyal subscribers, and the more recent HTML5 versions can remain secure, and their numbers will grow as time goes by.

Neil Wyatt
                            @neilwyatt
                            Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 21/04/2020 10:16:36:

I can understand MTM's reluctance to pay for the effort of translating the archive material from Flash to HTML5 given that the income from that would be practically zero. However, I presume that they have access to the original scans in PDF format or something easily translated.

My understanding was that if we produced a DVD of back issues, they would have to be re-scanned.

I have to admit some of the archive issues are not outstanding quality, albeit readable.

Neil

William Ayerst
                            Participant
                              @williamayerst55662

Pointed to this from my similar question in the M.E. subforum – now that Flash is completely dead, what is the solution?

Neil, you mentioned in the previous discussion in this thread that the archive wasn't likely to be migrated to HTML5, but then in my thread in the main M.E. subforum you said that it was half-way done.

Is it still in progress?

JasonB
                                @jasonb

Yes still in progress as mentioned in several more recent threads than this one.

William Ayerst
                                Participant
                                  @williamayerst55662

thanks JasonB – if it's half done and started in January, presumably that means it's probably a few months away? It seems that ME is only back to ~4600 so presumably MEW was started first?

Edited By William Ayerst on 02/03/2021 16:39:07

JasonB
                                    @jasonb

Yes

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)