I found this old car but what is it?

Advert

I found this old car but what is it?

Home Forums Related Hobbies including Vehicle Restoration I found this old car but what is it?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Buffer
    Participant
      @buffer
      Advert
      Buffer
      Participant
        @buffer

While out walking the dog I ducked into a gully and was surprised to find this old car chassis. Do any of the oldies on here recognize any of the features and know what this might be? It has a few features like the transverse leaf springs front and back and those longs supports for the back axle that run from about halfway down the car to the rear wheels. Thanks.

20221226_153705.jpg

20221226_153724.jpg

20221226_153753.jpg

20221226_153825.jpg

20221226_153847.jpg

20221226_153907.jpg

Edited By Buffer on 29/12/2022 21:37:59

JA
        Participant
          @ja

This is probably the remains of a Spragthorn Greyhound made in Wolverhampton. About 250 were built in the very late 1920s. It had a 1 litre 4 cylinder sidevalve engine. The company went broke in early 1931 at the start of the Great Depression.

JA

john halfpenny
          Participant
            @johnhalfpenny52803

It's the chassis from an 8 or 10hp Ford (1937-59). A frame suspension is very noticeable feature.

John Hinkley
            Participant
              @johnhinkley26699

My guess is that is what remains of a Ford Y-type. The A-frame front suspension with the ball joint attachment to the rear location was very much 'de rigeur' when I was building my sporting trials car in the 1970s.

John

P.S. If you're thinking of rebuilding it, it looks like it could do with a bit of welding.

AJW
              Participant
                @ajw

If it's more than 40 years old it won't require an MOT.

Alan

David Davies 8
                Participant
                  @daviddavies8

What I thought was notable was the drive to the rear axle of your find included a torque tube. Not very often seen, my father's Peugeot 404 had a torque tube. Also IIRC the Peugeot had a hypoid gear arrangement and required an extreme pressure lubricant. Vegetable oil I believe. Don't start me on the aroma of Castrol R in TZ Yamahas.

Dave

Jeff Dayman
                  Participant
                    @jeffdayman43397

Mid 1930's Ford I'd say, but not a US or Canadian built one.

Redsetter
                    Participant
                      @redsetter

Yes it is an 8 or 10 HP English Ford, but not a Y type, it is a later model. I think post 1939 and probably early postwar, but can't see quite enough detail to be sure.

Grindstone Cowboy
                      Participant
                        @grindstonecowboy

Those pipes around the radiator appear to be plastic, and is that a plastic drain-cock on the rad or just corroded brass or ali? Probably something early modified into a 'special' later on, I would guess. Some blue plastic-covered cable there too.

David – our Peugeot 504 also had a torque tube yes

Rob

john halfpenny
                        Participant
                          @johnhalfpenny52803

Torque tube transmission was preferred by Henry for everything from the Model T through to WWII, and afterwards in the UK for the upright models. It was necessary because he relied upon a transverse leaf spring at the rear which could not resist drive torque. BTW, the Armstrong shock absorber and the brake drum  is wrong for a Model Y, so definitely in the 37-59 bracket. The engine is a small Ford sidevalve, and the petrol pump can be seen. The radiator tap is the standard brass type, but the remains have no value.

Edited By john halfpenny on 30/12/2022 08:44:39

Dave Halford
                          Participant
                            @davehalford22513

Ford E93A Anglia / Prefect, but not the remains of Pinball Wizard.

Mike Poole
                            Participant
                              @mikepoole82104

A bit of work with some T cut should soon have that back in show condition.

Mike

Nigel Graham 2
                              Participant
                                @nigelgraham2

There may be manufacturer's marks such as abbreviated name on some of the visible areas of the castings.

For example, I believe Ford embossed 'FoMoCo' on some castings, including manifolds and gearboxes, but I don't know how universally, nor how far back historically.

Regarding materials, the pale-coloured tube on the side of the radiator might be of aluminium: it is of similar surface appearance to the brake cylinder.

While the bit of blue tube or cable, and the plastic oil can, might be co-incidental rubbish rather than "with" the car when it was abandoned – or fly-tipped. I can't tell if the tube / cable is attached to any fitting, but if the oil-can had been there as long as the car, I might expect it to be disintegrating by now.

Hopper
                                Participant
                                  @hopper
                                  Posted by Mike Poole on 30/12/2022 09:33:18:

A bit of work with some T cut should soon have that back in show condition.

Mike

It was running well when it was parked.

Nigel McBurney 1
                                  Participant
                                    @nigelmcburney1

Best place for it,only rode in one post war sit up and beg Ford for a few miles ,awful ride, I was once asked to help a friend to get the rear brake drum off a similar Ford ,I could not get it off apparently a special puller was required as the drum and hub were in one piece and I was later told that it was a taper fit on the half shaft. Thats also just like the rear hub on a Triumph Herald ,taper and key fit,another friends car ,a really big screw puller would not move it, so it went to a local garage where they used a hydraulic puller and then had to nearly burn righ through the hub with oxy torch and it then flew off with some force.They did it and saved the half shaft.

Buffer
                                    Participant
                                      @buffer

Thanks chaps I knew some of you would know. When it's a bit drier I will head back over and see if I can get some better pics of the engine or see what else is nearby. I might even take a wire brush and see if there is anything on the castings.

Phil P
                                      Participant
                                        @philp

Dont forget to take a pot of paint as well…….Once you start wire brushing, it will rust like crazy smiley

noel shelley
                                        Participant
                                          @noelshelley55608

Alan My understanding is that to claim exemption from MOT it must have an MOT at the time and be over 40 years old. Am I right ? Noel.

john halfpenny
                                          Participant
                                            @johnhalfpenny52803

The correct Ford hub puller works well – if you pull off the studs, it will just bend the flat face of the drum. Whilst the taper may be tight, if a half shaft breaks the hub walks out with the wheel. In the day tow trucks carried a special attachment which could mount the spare wheel for towing. The key to better ride and handling is oil in the dampers – without there is almost no roll resistance with the transverse leaf suspension, hence the reputation.

Samsaranda
                                            Participant
                                              @samsaranda

Looks identical to my E93A Ford Popular of 50’s vintage, identical suspension, and steering box. Mine wasn’t as rusted as that when I owned it. Dave W

Chris Evans 6
                                              Participant
                                                @chrisevans6
                                                Posted by Nigel McBurney 1 on 30/12/2022 11:52:48:

Best place for it,only rode in one post war sit up and beg Ford for a few miles ,awful ride, I was once asked to help a friend to get the rear brake drum off a similar Ford ,I could not get it off apparently a special puller was required as the drum and hub were in one piece and I was later told that it was a taper fit on the half shaft. Thats also just like the rear hub on a Triumph Herald ,taper and key fit,another friends car ,a really big screw puller would not move it, so it went to a local garage where they used a hydraulic puller and then had to nearly burn righ through the hub with oxy torch and it then flew off with some force.They did it and saved the half shaft.

I will concur re E93A 8 or 10 hp. I still have a rear hub puller somewhere deep in the workshop. I built a sporting trials car based on an E93A and also used one as a daily driver. Fitted with an Aquaplane hear and a Judson blower and SU carb set up things could get a bit hairy.

John Rutzen
                                                Participant
                                                  @johnrutzen76569

Having watched Bangers and Cash it's probably worth at least 20 grand in THAT condition!

john halfpenny
                                                  Participant
                                                    @johnhalfpenny52803

Terminological exactitude. I think the generic term E93A (a Prefect) was perpetuated by the fondly remembered Cars and Car Conversions mag, which was required reading in my youth. There were rather few of these E93A, in fact. Most common was the 103E Popular (53-59), Britains cheapest car until killed off by the Mini, 105E Anglia and Triumph Herald. This chassis type, in rough chronological order, was used on 7Y, 7W, E04A, E93A, E493A, E494A and 103E.

Vic
                                                    Participant
                                                      @vic

I thought all old unidentified cars were Dimbley Ditsons? That’s what all the old fella’s used to call them when I was a kid! 🤣

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)