Hydraulic ram for IC engine cylinder

Advert

Hydraulic ram for IC engine cylinder

Home Forums Materials Hydraulic ram for IC engine cylinder

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mick Bailey
    Participant
      @mickbailey28509

I have some 1 5/8″ diameter steel that’s cut from scrap hydraulic rams. I’ve been using pieces for many years instead of M/S and it machines nicely. Would this be suitable for an IC engine cylinder? I need a finished OD of 1.5″ and this would do just nicely.

Advert
      Brian Wood
      Participant
        @brianwood45127

Mick,

I don’t see why not, it is quality steel, resistant to bending, whether or not that is important to your planned use I don’t know.

Others may have different views.

Regards  Brian

JasonB
          @jasonb

It is something I have thought of using and have seen others use it but not found a source for short lenghts. With it’s already honed bore it should work well.

It would be idea for a single Viton ring which are less hastle than making iron rings. Just 5% of cross section compression of the ring.

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

I think hes talking about the rams not the cyls

noel shelley
            Participant
              @noelshelley55608

It will be good steel and hard chromed, though of little matter if only being used as stock – I take it you are referring to piston rod ? Good Luck Noel.

Nick Wheeler
              Participant
                @nickwheeler
                On noel shelley Said:

It will be good steel and hard chromed, though of little matter if only being used as stock – I take it you are referring to piston rod ? Good Luck Noel.

The hard chrome can be a bit challenging to cut through if using a small lathe. You can salvage good quantities of similar material from used Macpherson struts(Vauxhall Omegas provide about 500mm of 22mm diameter rod) and smaller diameters from the ubiquitous gas springs.

bernard towers
                Participant
                  @bernardtowers37738

I find that when machining hyd ram rods its easier to feed along the work with a deepish cut this peels the chrome off easily

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)