How does this flame failure device work?

Advert

How does this flame failure device work?

Home Forums The Tea Room How does this flame failure device work?

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    John Doe 2
    Participant
      @johndoe2

I am sure we all agree that safety is paramount, and that nobody should touch a safety-critical system if they don’t know what they’re doing. I also take Clive’s point about certain safety-critical electronic components – (but my reply to that is why keep it secret ? Why should I have to spend £2,000 on a complete new boiler and all the disruption of having one installed, when a £2 component on the control board has failed ?).

During my house ownership, I have seen the “standards” of many supposedly “qualified professional engineers”. Slap-dash installation of ceiling down-lighters, electrical junction boxes and of pipe plumbing that I have seen has led me to the conclusion that some “engineers” either must have false qualifications or pay absolutely no attention to them once ‘qualified”, simply in order to complete a job as quickly as possible. A ceiling joist weakened by being half cut through with a hole saw in order to mount a down-lighter was one particular example, when with some thought and careful measuring he could have moved the fitting 2 inches to miss the joist.

Another was a floor joist half cut through to route a shower drain – and in that example the floor joists were glued wooden I-beams with knock-outs provided in the centre web for pipes etc, but the idiot who installed the drain had ignored those and cut right through the top rail of the I-beam, because it was easier and quicker for him.

I found that a faulty boiler in one house was full of copper particles and filings from cutting pipes etc, and which should have been fully flushed out before commissioning the boiler, but which were left in the system, where they eventually jammed half the water valves in the boiler.

The main boiler hot feed pipe in this house was almost completely blocked from corrosion products because no anti-corrosion solution had been added to the system. Both installed by “qualified gas-safe” central heating installers…………yeah, right.

I have also seen the most ridiculous plumbing pipe tangles with no thought given to water flow or subsequent maintenance access to components.

As such, I object to paying eye watering amounts for some gormless white van man to install something, when I know that my life-long engineering experience, knowledge, attention to detail, and safety, will produce superior results – even though he might have a specific qualification, and technically I don’t. (Although I do have qualifications for electronics and safety, and I certainly have a lot more knowledge and competence).

I also object to paying huge mark-ups on new equipment and components supplied.

Advert
      Harry Wilkes
      Participant
        @harrywilkes58467

Yesterday I had my boiler serviced after the boiler was done the young man said he would do a gas leak test around the meter, he returned saying there was a leak a strange one at that he explained that the main gas tap was leaking but only in the off position which he happily demonstrated. He then called Cadet one of there guys arrived and waving hiss ‘sniffer’ wand around after confirming the leak he said he needed to call out another engineer who arrived within 30 mins, during the waiting time he checked the other 4 house in my cul-de-sac and found the same fault on another three houses so out of 5 five taps three of them had the same fault and it’s taken maybe 43 years to find it.

H

Robert Atkinson 2
        Participant
          @robertatkinson2

Got to agree with John Doe 2 on Professionals.
          When We moved into the current house 15 years ago the plumbing was a mess and no functioning heating. The original heating was electrical ceiling heat (don’t ask). Hot water was electrical with storage tank. Gas had been disconnected. I replaced all the water plumbing and fitted an instant flow gas water heater. I ran gas pipe from heater and a cooker connection to near the meter location. Gas supplier fitted a new meter. I found a local ex-british gas fitter who checked my work and connected to meter, boiler and cooker. When time came for the first service he had retired so we engaged a local approved “engineer”. I had placed the manual for the heater on the counter. He ignored that. First problem was he could not remove the cover (pull off knobs, push up plastic trim to unclip it and reveal screws all, in the manual). I showed him how to do that. He faffed about around the insides for half an hour but did not clean anything. He then asked where the expansion tank was. I said it didn’t have one. He says “all combi boilers have one” I say it’s not a boiler it’s a heater. He says a what? so I explain what a instant flow water heater is. Apparently he had never heard of one. He then sai he had to fail it because ther was no fixed vent. I pointed out it was a balanced flue, sealed case design so didn’t need one. Additionally there was a fixed vent in the double glazing frame. He didn’t do a leakage check either.
          Needless to say he didn’t get any more work from us. We found another approved fitter by recommendation and he is very good.

Robert.

bricky
          Participant
            @bricky

I am afraid the short training of so called tradesmen and the lack of a proper apprenticeship has a lot to answer for.I have a problem with a burner on my cooker, after much seaching for someone to deal with it I was given a name,he bought a new jet and fitted it ,there was no difference .I was told by an old gas fitter what the problem was when I explained it,unfortunateley he no longer had the appropiate paperwork to cover him so he could not help.The younger so called gas fitters cannot be bothered with small jobs.I am still waiting for the man who did attend to come back,I am not holding my breath .This is rife throughout the building trade with the decline in proper training.I am a retired builder so have seen it happening and they will soon have to dig us up.

Frank

old mart
            Participant
              @oldmart

This thread has run quite a long time, the boiler that I had was replaced with a new equivalent at least 10 months ago and the new one, a Worcester Bosch 4000 is much improved in design and adjustments.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)