Homemade Steam Engine & Gold Stamper

Advert

Homemade Steam Engine & Gold Stamper

Home Forums Stationary engines Homemade Steam Engine & Gold Stamper

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Blue Heeler
    Participant
      @blueheeler

Homemade Steam Engine & Gold Stamper
      TTB02 By the late Trevor Woolan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhHvaUvXPHA

Advert
      Bazyle
      Participant
        @bazyle

Interesting that the stamps rotate as a byproduct of the lifting technique. i wonder if this was a feature of the full size ones.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

A much larger and more detailed model sold here:

https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/481-an-exceptionl–large-model-of-an-australian-gold-mine-stamp-mill/?lot=10303&sd=1

… The excellent images might be of interest.

MichaelG.

Hopper
          Participant
            @hopper
            On Bazyle Said:

Interesting that the stamps rotate as a byproduct of the lifting technique. i wonder if this was a feature of the full size ones.

Yes it was, on the full sized old ones I have seen on various historic outback mine sites where the old equipment is still standing. Done to stop the machine jamming up if the ore proved too thick or too tough to be broken down on the first stroke. The ore just sat there until the next lift and drop, until it was broken down enough to move on through the grates etc.

Things must have been noisy as hell in operation, and slow. These days they use ball mills, big revolving horizontal steel cylinders full of steel or iron “cannonballs” that pulverise the ore as it is fed through them.

Blue Heeler
            Participant
              @blueheeler
              On Hopper Said:
              On Bazyle Said:

Yes it was, on the full sized old ones I have seen on various historic outback mine sites where the old equipment is still standing. Done to stop the machine jamming up if the ore proved too thick or too tough to be broken down on the first stroke. The ore just sat there until the next lift and drop, until it was broken down enough to move on through the grates etc.

Things must have been noisy as hell in operation, and slow. These days they use ball mills, big revolving horizontal steel cylinders full of steel or iron “cannonballs” that pulverise the ore as it is fed through them.

Yes, I certainly think that the operators would have suffered hearing loss in a very short amount of time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)