Hit n Miss Engine Recommendations

Advert

Hit n Miss Engine Recommendations

Home Forums General Questions Hit n Miss Engine Recommendations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Deaville
    Participant
      @daviddeaville66164

Hi,

I’m looking for advice on a new project to build a Hit n Miss engine.

I have bought the Jerry Howell Farm Boy plans and made a start on that but there is a huge amount of machining of aluminium to do and the slightest mistake means I have to start all over again and generate another workshop full of swarf due to the large amount of material that has to be machined away to make the three main body parts.

I would prefer to start again with a kit that uses castings but have so far found nothing suitable.

Thanks

Dave D.

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Assuming you are in the UK then the nearest to the classic hopper cooled design would be the Alyn Foundry RLE engine, these are cast to order and may take a while to get a set depending on foundry timing etc. See my build thread for what’s involved

There is also Engineer’s Emporium Who do the Economy, Senior and the more commonly known Redwing which are all decent size as well as the vertical Perkins, the Junior & Little Wonder are a bit small.

E-bay and asking around can also turn up the odd unwanted set of castings if you keep an eye out.

Emgee
        Participant
          @emgee

Hi Dave D

You will experience the same problem with a casting and it will have cost more £’s.

Usually mistakes can be rectified by plugging holes or adding a plate and if the model is going to be painted the mistake will only be known by you.

Don’t rush when machining, before applying a cut take a few moments to check what you are about to do is what’s required.

The old saying measure twice and cut once really can be a job saver.

Emgee

Dalboy
          Participant
            @dalboy

I am relatively new to model engineering and getting towards the end of the Farm Boy engine. I found that I took it very easy and slow, and as said double check everything before making a cut and there should not be a problem.

It does not matter whether you make one from plans alone or from a kit of casting mistakes can be made so why not just continue with the farm Boy.

I am learning a lot from my build and can spend a couple of days going over how and what order to machine parts before I even make a cut.

Have a Look HERE

JasonB
              @jasonb

It is also going to be cheaper and easier to replace a lump of ali than a mucked up casting.

Dalboy
              Participant
                @dalboy

Did you make a decision, I hope you went with the farm boy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)