Hi, ML7 re-start

Advert

Hi, ML7 re-start

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Diogenes
    Participant
      @diogenes

..plus another for leaving the headstock alone for the present!

..If the original finish is serviceable and will clean up, I’d keep that too..

Advert
      Martin of Wick
      Participant
        @martinofwick

Removing and replacing the headstock for painting not a big issue. Clearly it will need to be clocked back in on re-assembly using the adjusting screws on the lathe bed and naturally all mating surfaces must be surgically clean. personally, I would acquire a MT2 test bar for set ups and alignments on the basis that they do not cost much and they help reduce sources of error and doubt.

The Myford  ‘dividing thing’ is treasure in its own right…..

Really? I wonder how often they are actually used. Other ‘less faff’ dividing methods are available. Keep it well wrapped and protected from damp rust somewhere you can remember, against the one in ten year event that requires its use.

nb. you will find you use the test bar much more frequently than the ‘treasure’ (unless you are a clock maker)!

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133
          On Martin of Wick Said:
          [quoting me] The Myford  ‘dividing thing’ is treasure in its own right…..[/quote]

Really? I wonder how often they are actually used. Other ‘less faff’ dividing methods are available. Keep it well wrapped and protected from damp rust somewhere you can remember, against the one in ten year event that requires its use.
          […]

Here is a previous discussion, which may go some way to explaining my use of the word:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/dividing-head-attachment/

… and your own observations almost define the word 🙂

MichaelG.

Martin of Wick
          Participant
            @martinofwick

Indeed Michael! I’ve no doubt if one lived long enough the day would come when the ‘treasure’ would be worth its weight in gold, assuming it could be located at that time!

Any division work I have had to do so far has been quite basic and well within the capacity of the excellent but simple Sparey dividing head.

Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133
            Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)