HI, I’m Iain

Advert

HI, I’m Iain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Iain Downs
    Participant
      @iaindowns78295

Since I already seem to be seeking assistance from the group it seemed only polite to introduce myself.

I've taken up machining stuff recently and have a Clarke CMD10 and a SPG Tools SPG0618A.

My wife asks my what I'm going to make and I tell her 'stuff'. The objective is to escape from the humdrum and do something creative (in a shed away from the family!).

Having said, you have to have something in mind, and my target is to build a wood lathe – perhaps I'll even lathe things with it.

I have built something using a cheap drill, lots of Rexroth (big meccano) and a home made drive centre. It kind of works but 3200 rpm is too much for bowls.

I've got some pulleys and am looking to make some kind of headstock – my sister has promised a 'boring head' for Xmas (she is delighted to tell her friends I'm getting a boring head for Christmas).

then we'll see – it's all a delightful learning curve, but thank God I don't have any deadlines!

Iain

Advert
      Iain Downs
      Participant
        @iaindowns78295
        Chris Evans 6
        Participant
          @chrisevans6

Welcome Iain, from another newby. My machinery is a bit bigger to cope with motorcycle parts and not models.

Enjoy the forum and the hobby, when you get in the workshop time evaporates ! Chris.

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

Hello Iain

Welcome to the forum.

Making a wood lathe is certainly an attainable objective. Keep us up to date!

Neil

mechman48
            Participant
              @mechman48

Welcome Iain;

newbies always welcome to the forum, if you need to have questions answered then this is the place where you'll always get one… & no question is stupid or silly.

George.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)