Hi all, another Paul….

Advert

Hi all, another Paul….

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Hi all, another Paul….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Relf-Davies
    Participant
      @paulrelf-davies37806

I've posted a few times, so I thought I'd better introduce myself.

I'm not so much a model engineering enthusiast (though I'm sure I've a small steam engine in me waiting to be built…) as a small-scale engineering fan.

I'm in the process of building up a small home workshop, which I intend to use for the manufacture of small parts for my assorted cars (various air-cooled VW based vehicles), my bike (a '55 BSA Bantam D1 Rigid), as well as some photographic & astronomical tools & accessories.

I have acquired an (as yet unidentified) Corbett's 3 3/4" lathe (It doesn't quite match anything on the Corbett's pages on Lathes.co.uk) and a DW Mk1 mill.

My plan is to buy the minimum of tooling to get me started, then to make additional engineering tools as I go…a knurling fixture or a ball cutter, for example.

I've made a few small items on the lathe, but my first 'proper' project is to adapt an EQ1 (ie very small) equatorial telescope mount to function as a long-duration astronomical camera tracker. In essence, I will need to turn up a new spindle threaded M10 on one end and 1/4"-20 on the other and an appropriately designed collar/spacer to mount on the spindle.

To be honest, I'm not anticipating any major challenges here, but it will be a good place to start….and the 1st of many projects.

cheers

Paul

Advert
      Paul Relf-Davies
      Participant
        @paulrelf-davies37806
        Neil Wyatt
          @neilwyatt

Hello Paul,

Sounds like an interesting project.

You might be interested in this – it's a Bresser 'EQ1' type mount fitted to an EQ3 tripod. I drilled out the holes and made acetal spacers. I also had to swap the latitude clamp for a plain clamp and sand away some of the tops of the plastic pivots.

With screwed bracing rods fitted to the top of the legs it's a good setup for visual use.

We have an 'other hobbies' topic where you can mention astronomy in relative safety

Neil

bresswatcher neq 2 small.jpg

Howard Lewis
          Participant
            @howardlewis46836

Hi Paul!

When you say 1/4 x 20, do you mean 1/4 BSW, which is the usual thread for camera/tripod related fittings?

On larger tripods, you may come across 3/8 BSW, but can easily be sleeved down to 1/4.

Howard

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)