Hemingway Filing Machine

Advert

Hemingway Filing Machine

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Hemingway Filing Machine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    smf
    Participant
      @smf

img_1657.jpgimg_1656.jpgI recently completed Hemingway's filing machine. It works well, although I could do with better saw blades. Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Stephen

Advert
      smf
      Participant
        @smf
        roy entwistle
        Participant
          @royentwistle24699

What saw blades are you using ?

smf
          Participant
            @smf

Eclipse 22tpi I think.

roy entwistle
            Participant
              @royentwistle24699

You probably want something finer. Depends on what you're sawing, how thick etc. You want at least three teeth in contact with the material being cut. And let the saw do the work. ie. don't force it. You may have to go for piercing saw blades and find a different way of holding them.

Dalboy
              Participant
                @dalboy

The tooth count will need to be matched to material being cut as Roy stated at least 3 teeth in the cut. also make sure they are suitable for the material being cut. I use Pegus blades in my woodcutting saw and found them good.

These I get from Axminster tools

IanT
                Participant
                  @iant

I'm not familiar with this machine but I assume you could make something to adapt piercing saw blades, especially if you need to cut thinner materials.

I use Swiss Vallorbe blades (from Cousins UK) – they are suprisingly inexpensive (mostly less than £2 per 12 pack) and they cut very well. If you can, I would run the machine fairly slowly and just let the saw do the cutting (or you will break the blade). However, they should last quite well when used on the machine, as I only tend to break them these days when my attention wanders and I twist or yank the saw inadvertantly. This usually occurs just as I'm thinking "Haven't broken a blade recently"

Regards,

IanT

smf
                  Participant
                    @smf

Thanks all. I use Superpike and Vallorbe blades in my piercing saw at various tpi to suit the material, and will make an adapter for the Hemingway kit. I also use Pegas coping saw blades for woodwork, but the metal cutting blades aren't pinned I think. I might make an adapter for them too as I quite like the Pegas blades.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)