Help to identify old oil can.

Advert

Help to identify old oil can.

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Help to identify old oil can.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    ichad
    Participant
      @ichad

Help to identify old oil can please. I’ve looked online at old oil cans and this one looks railway orientated or Possible Keyes. Its soldered construction and has a chain cap lid, push on, not threaded. I’ve attached pictures with house brick wall behind for scale. I would be very grateful if anyone could help.IMG_2597IMG_2596IMG_2595

Advert
      Nigel Bennett
      Participant
        @nigelbennett69913

I would expect to see a soldered-on or stamped-in “Kaye” if it was a Kaye’s one. Could be Braime’s of Leeds, who made similar things and they were just round the corner from Kaye’s.

I used to work for Kaye’s, but sadly some bozo trashed all the oil can drawings, “because we don’t make them any more”. I remember taking in my miniature Meccano one to work and the chap who used to make them was delighted to see it; his eyes lit up and he reminisced about making them.

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Is anyone able to confirm it is an oil-can?

Looks to me as if the chained lid doubles as a measuring cup, implying the contents were doled out accurately, which is rarely necessary with oil.    My first thought was Rum, then disinfectant.  Possibly oil for mixing into petrol to make two stroke.

Not so long ago, containers like this were made by the million out of earthenware, glass and tin-plate.    Tin-plate cost more but sealed well, where lightweight, and could be knocked about without breaking.   They had a multitude of uses, I think this one a bit special because ordinary lids were rarely chained.

I expect it was labelled and painted when new making identification easy.  Then, in the past, someone cleaned it off to keep us amused!

Dave

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

I have seen them before with a chain through the handle and a stamped tag attached with the contents. Also doubt very much that it has ever been painted.

Diogenes
            Participant
              @diogenes

..maybe you could buy cans like that back in the days when paraffin (Whale Oil, Coal Tar 😉)was a weekly purchase and you had to fetch it in your own container..

Nigel Graham 2
              Participant
                @nigelgraham2

Cans like that were probably about as universal as buckets, but its first owner could well have been a railway company.

ichad
                Participant
                  @ichad

Thanks so much for the information, great response on only the 1st day of posting.

not done it yet
                  Participant
                    @notdoneityet

I very much doubt the cap was a measuring device – unless it is a later addition. or cleverly sealed on the inside of the cap.  Looks, to me, the chain is just a means of not losing the cap!

SillyOldDuffer
                      @sillyoldduffer
                      On not done it yet Said:

I very much doubt the cap was a measuring device – unless it is a later addition. or cleverly sealed on the inside of the cap.  Looks, to me, the chain is just a means of not losing the cap!

Well, I suggest a maker deliberately fitting a leaky cap to a well-made container is equally unlikely!  Especially as it’s easy to seal the inside with a soldered disc.

I hope ichad will let us know.   He can test the cup by fulling it with water.   If it doesn’t leak, be interesting to know how much liquid the cup contains.  I predict a nice round number of fluid ounces, or maybe drachms.

Dave

ichad
                      Participant
                        @ichad

The cup/cap has a hole in the top with the chain passing through so cant be filled with liquid or used as a measure.IMG_2596

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          On ichad Said:

The cup/cap has a hole in the top with the chain passing through so cant be filled with liquid or used as a measure.IMG_2596

As made … or as modified ?

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer
                            @sillyoldduffer
                            On ichad Said:

The cup/cap has a hole in the top with the chain passing through so cant be filled with liquid or used as a measure.

A clue!  Whatever was stored in the container didn’t smell or evaporate, and knock-over spillage didn’t matter much.  But it was necessary to prevent slopping or to keep dirt out.  Not anything that reacts with metal.   Oil unlikely because spills are a messy fire-hazard, though might be OK for transporting lube from a big tank across a yard to refill squirty oil-cans.  Or other short-range carrying for distribution, such as taking beer home from a pub – this was once common.

A huge number of possibilities.

Dave

Maurice Taylor
                            Participant
                              @mauricetaylor82093

Hi,

With that short chain it would be difficult to fill the cup,most of it would be on the floor .It has also got a hole in it.

Maurice

ichad
                              Participant
                                @ichad

It’s shinny clean inside with a clean oil residue.

Michael Gilligan
                                Participant
                                  @michaelgilligan61133

I have taken the liberty of cropping the photo … just to focus attention on the important detail

MichaelG.

IMG_0085

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133

Google ‘Lens’ does a pretty-good job of finding similar images

MichaelG.

ichad
                                    Participant
                                      @ichad

I’ve found something very similar on a well known auction site listed as a Shell Rotella oil can.Shell Rotella can

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)