Help Sourcing Colchester Student / Harrison M300

Advert

Help Sourcing Colchester Student / Harrison M300

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Help Sourcing Colchester Student / Harrison M300

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    messy457
    Participant
      @messy457

Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for all the assistance!

I’m a complete novice in the lathe space and would like to take it up as a hobby. I was originally planning to get a Chinese lathe but was highly advised not to by my mentor. He said a Colchester Student or Harrison M300 1960s-1980s would be the best fit.

I’m after something in full working condition that doesn’t require any immediate attention. Ideally someone that’s stopping that wants to cheaply get rid of said lathe and all related accessories.

If it’s England way that would be preferable but if I need to travel I’ll manage.

It needs to be sub £1k.

I’ve found a few for that price but normally all sold before I even get a look in, hopefully I’ll catch one before it’s  put up for sale.

Thanks Again

J

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

Whilst not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm … I have just carefully read your conflicting constraints !

A glib response is : You may find one alongside the rocking-horse manure.

MichaelG.

Edit: __ for a reality-check, I suggest you have a look at this site:

https://www.colchesterspares.com/

JasonB
          @jasonb

I think you will struggle at that price to find a machine and accessories that does not need attention be that damage or wear. Unless you can find a Widow or family that don’t know what a recently departed’s machine is worth.

messy457
          Participant
            @messy457
            Michael Gilligan
            Participant
              @michaelgilligan61133

Just one example, to make my point:

https://www.colchesterspares.com/tailstocks

MichaelG.

JasonB
                @jasonb

Does your budget include for an inverter, etc to get the 3-phase machine running or are you lucky enough to have 3P supply?

messy457
                Participant
                  @messy457

Lathe only. I’m assuming another 1k for tooling, inverter, restoration etc.

Dave Halford
                  Participant
                    @davehalford22513

On a site that in the main generously values tools I’d say you were lucky to miss it.

Beware of the freshly painted and ask for close up photos of the ways near the chuck to check for wear ridges.

John Haine
                    Participant
                      @johnhaine32865

I can understand why your mentor might advise that but probably based on his own experience, possibly in industry.  If you did manage to find one sub 1k it’s likely to be in poor condition and would hinder you as a novice never knowing whether it was your skill level or the machine.  Also for this type of lathe you would need to factor in a generous allowance for moving a heavy chunk of iron.

You will see on this site that many people (JasonB for one) have done excellent work on Chinese machines and you can buy a package including a range of accessories from ArcEurotrade for one at a price withing your budget.  And you get a warranty from a well-regarded supplier.

messy457
                      Participant
                        @messy457

I need a bore diameter of 32mm minimum and I’ll be turning stainless steel that needs to be held to thou or less tolerances. Mentor also said I’ll need a short headstock as I’ll be holding material from both sides for maximum concentricity and rigidity.

SillyOldDuffer
                          @sillyoldduffer

Did your mentor agree the wish-list?  If he did ask him to find the lathe for you!   He’ll almost certainly fail, because the problem is availability and cost, not just the hardware.

Though a member recently picked up a Myford for £200, that’s extremely rare, requiring gigantic luck!

Some prices from a dealer, dearer than private sellers, but dealers will deliver and a offer a warranty.  They are also available now. Examples from back page of June 13 Model Engineer magazine and the prices are all VAT exclusive:

Long bed Colchester Bantam 2000 £4950
                          Myford 254 Plus    £7250
                          Smart and Brown Sabel £950
                          Myford Connoisseur £9750
                          Myford Super 7B  £3450
                          Myford Speed 10  £2000
                          Colchester Triumph 2000  £9750
                          Harrison M300 £3950
                          Wolf-Jahn  £3250
                          Schaubin 70  £12000

Alternatively, start looking for private second-hand – the magazines, this forum, lathes.co.uk, ebay, clubs etc.   Then wheel out the mentor to look at it – his experience will detect faults, missing parts, damage, and other nasties.

Did the mentor mention that the lathes he recommended usually require a 3-phase supply?   Not difficult if the cash is available, but bad news if all the money was spent on the lathe.    The budget also has to accommodate tools, accessories, consumables and materials.   Nothing worse than having a lovely lathe that can’t be used because the owner was surprised by the need to pay for the electrics and other essentials.

I advise against insisting on a particular machine unless money is no object.  Nothing wrong with a Colchester Student or Harrison M300, but don’t ignore the many alternatives, including Chinese.   Your mentor’s dislike of Far Eastern machines may be prejudice, or related to how he uses his equipment, which may not match your needs at all.  Beware the chap who insists only a Dean Smith and Grace in mint condition will do!  Make your own mind up.   I had enormous fun with a mini-lathe and learned all the basics on it.  Main problem was it was too small!   I replaced it with a bigger Chinese lathe, which does all I want.   Listening to your mentor would have messed me up.

Don’t be put off, it’s not that difficult to get into the hobby.   At the moment the wish-list is very optimistic, either widen the choice of machines, or increase the budget, or both!

Though I wanted a new bright-red Ferrari, I actually drive a second-hand ordinary Corsa…

Good luck.

Dave

Nicholas Farr
                          Participant
                            @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, the Student is an old machine, and were last made 50 or so years ago, but while they are good machines, they will wear over time and use, I’ve used one in one of my day jobs, and that was fairly well worn, so getting a cheap one could cost you just as much again or more, to restore it. Nothing really wrong with getting a decent Chinese lathe, but if you are planning to do really high spec work, you’ll have to pay a few thousand quid for one. The Harrison ones seem to fetch a much higher price though.

To be honest, being that you are a novice, you may be better off buying any reasonable cheap lathe to get you started and gain a bit of experience of using a lathe, that way if you mess up the machine, it won’t hurt your wallet so much.

Regards Nick.

messy457
                            Participant
                              @messy457

I was told to get either or as he’s very familiar with both and know they work perfectly as I’ll be undertaking the same work as him.

The budget constraint is 100% me. I was planning to get a working lathe for £1k then another £1k for restoration, tooling etc. I don’t want to be £5k deep in something from the get go, just in case.

I’m an engineer by trade so can iron out issues as they arrive but a generally working machine that I can give some TLC would be ideal.

peak4
                              Participant
                                @peak4

I spent a year or two looking for a decent M300 or similar and put in a lot of miles around the country.
                                My home town at the time has a couple of reliable machinery dealers; here’s two of examples from a dealer there
                                https://www.pjmachines.com/blank?Category=Lathes
                                Colchester Bantum (sic) £2K   & an M300 £2.5K

I was looking at an M300 at this one, and arranged a demo of an affordable machine so he wired it up for me in advance; it had a distinct tick when running from the headstock, so likely a chipped gear.
                                All credit to the owner of the company, he noticed it too, so we left it on the shelf as it were, as the price of a replacement headstock gear (pair) would have exceeded my budget.
                                I relate that as you need to see a machine up and running; Ideally under load, rather than just looking for observable bed wear.
                                In the end I picked up a Warco GH1330 from a deceased estate, via a third party who knew its true value, but that was £2k by the time I’d arranged transport 5 years ago and they’ve increased in value since then.
                                Phil has M300s & M250s, but is unlikely to be cheap and prices are POA
                                http://www.philgeesinmachinery.co.uk/used-machine-tools/lathes/

Tony’s site has a Mk2 Student for £850
                                https://store.lathes.co.uk/adverts/for-sale/colchester-student-mk-2-lathe-0

https://lathes.co.uk/page3.html/

Bill

p.s. don’t forget that wiring up an industrial machine with safety interlocks etc, to an inverter, is rather more complicated than a simple home machine with just a single motor.

bernard towers
                                Participant
                                  @bernardtowers37738

there is also a 5″ raglan in the classifieds which won’t break the bank.

JasonB
                                    @jasonb

As it sounds like you want to use this commercially you should really also factor in bringing it upto safety standards. Might get away without if just using in the garage at home but if you were to have an accident will insurance co pay out if it did not have chuck and leadscrew covers etc?

Hopefully you will find one with a good collet chuck for your holding needs unless you are going to clock it in with a 4-jaw every time. Even if you went soft jaws in a 3-jaw you are going to have to factor in a used machine will come with a worn chuck.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)