Hello – new member here

Advert

Hello – new member here

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Hello – new member here

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John Moore 16
    Participant
      @johnmoore16

Hi everyone, new member here. By training I am a mechanical engineer, currently working in the automotive industry (product development, mostly CAE chassis engineering) and approaching retirement. I have always enjoyed working with tools, although have no formal training in any trade or workshop skill. I build electric guitars (slowly…) and do some silversmithing, mostly jewellery. I have a workshop that is currently set up for basic silversmithing (have recently got into sand casting), but I intend to bring benches and equipment from my father’s workshop where he spent many years in the restoration of a vintage (1933) MG sportscar, a project that he never finished before he passed away. These tools include a woodworking bench and tools, a large drill press, bench grinder and another heavy bench with an old, probably 1930’s benchtop lathe that looks a bit like an early Myford although I can’t find any maker’s name on it. It would have been bought in Australia, so some kind of Myford (or similar) knock-off, maybe? I will post some photos of the lathe in case anyone knows what it is. There are also many boxes of lathe accessories and tools, some of which I know dad made himself.

Anyway – I basically just want to get the lathe running, because it’s a beautiful thing, and I would like a few fundamental machining skills that might help me finish off the restoration of the MG. I also have vague ideas for guitar pickups and effects.

John

Melbourne, Australia

Advert
      noel shelley
      Participant
        @noelshelley55608

Welcome John, we are by and large a happy bunch here, so I’m sure some one will be able to help with the lathe ID. As for sand casting I may be able to help if you have questions ? Best wishes Noel.

JA
        Participant
          @ja

John

Welcome. Have you looked at http://www.lathes.co.uk? It is great source of information.

Of all the cities in the world Melbourne is one of the few I would choose to live in. I spent three weeks there 30 years ago.

JA

Bazyle
          Participant
            @bazyle

You could also join one of the many model engineering clubs in Melbourne – don’t be put off by the seeming concentration on model locomotives as the members will have many other interests too and will be interested in learning from you as well.

John Moore 16
            Participant
              @johnmoore16

Yes, I have been looking at http://www.lathes.co.uk/ – it’s an excellent source of information. I think my lathe is a RANDA, or some clone of a RANDA.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)