Hello – Boxford Model

Advert

Hello – Boxford Model

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Hello – Boxford Model

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Julian Ramsey
    Participant
      @julian-mw-ramseygmail-com

Good evening – and hoping for help please.

Finally, I have found space for a small lathe in the garage, a Boxford Model B, S/N BUD-111-37272.  For its age, it is in very good condition and as it came out of a school, has not been savagely abused, just has a nice patina about it.  And only £120 as well – bargain I thought.

It is 3ph, but I can easily and cheaply convert it myself to 1ph operation with a VSD.  The Dickson tool post is there but the tool holders are missing, should not be hard to locate.  And the gear to drive the feed screw has been removed – probably a school ‘elf ‘n safety requirement, I could live without this but nice to have the feature back.

The biggest issue is that it does not have it’s tailstock, and that is why I have joined up here, at the recommendation of a friend who shares similar interests.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I might be able to get a tailstock?  Maybe even someone have one for sale? The tailstock is the key thing, without that it is just half a machine.

I looked on Fleebay with no luck, hence why I came here.  I am new to the lathe game, did a bit as a kid and knocked up the odd bush/spacer at work for my motorcycles, but never had to actually look for parts for these old machines.

Thanks and looking forward to replies
      Julian

Advert
      Nicholas Farr
      Participant
        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi Julian, welcome to the forum, however, you may find spares easier to get if you join the Boxford users group Boxford User Group

Regards Nick.

Clive Brown 1
        Participant
          @clivebrown1

There is also a Boxford & Denford user group on Facebook. Easy to join and a couple of members seem to trade in Boxford bits & pieces. Make sure that you get a tailstock of the correct centre height  The earlier machines are 4-1/2″ but the later models, after about mid ’70s, are 5″. There is a lot of Boxford information on Lathes.co.uk website. The Facebook group have a downloadable files section including the useful “Know Your Lathe” manual published by Boxford.

Julian Ramsey
          Participant

Thanks Nick – I have joined

Julian Ramsey
            Participant

Thanks also Clive – I’ll join.

BRJ

Bazyle
              Participant
                @bazyle

How long did you look on ebay? Tailstocks come up two or three times a year. k

Julian Ramsey
                Participant

Just looked today – only picked the lathe up this morning

Paul Lousick
                  Participant
                    @paullousick59116

Boxford lathes were originally a clone of the American Southbend, as are Hercus in Australia. I have a Hercus and all of the Southbend parts are interchangeable with it.

It’s worth investigating if a tailstock will fit your lathe.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)