Have you ever considered getting a 3D printer?

Advert

Have you ever considered getting a 3D printer?

Home Forums 3D Printers and 3D Printing Have you ever considered getting a 3D printer?

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Martin Kyte
    Participant
      @martinkyte99762

Apart from the souls that just like to have their own machine or use a lot of plastic parts so are in the chaper end of the market, I can see the advent of the send me your files and we will print your part service. Would not be surprised if Arc Euro or EKP or Blackgates didn't have a go at a new little earner.

Regards Martin

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133
        Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/02/2015 09:07:19:

I can see the advent of the send me your files and we will print your part service.

… and maybe [just like the bad old days of garment making, etc.] that would then be subcontracted to out-workers devil

MichaelG.

JasonB
          @jasonb

Martin there are plenty of firm that will do just that, look at yesterdays thread about using 3D printed items for patterns, I got an instant quote just by uploading an STL .file If I had clicked goahead it would be in teh post on its way to me by now.

J

Involute Curve
          Participant
            @involutecurve

I use IPFL for my prints, but they ain't cheap, my most expensive print has been £3500 however this was high end multiple colour and hardness item 400 x 300 x 250mm. far cheaper than producing injection mould tooling, and discovering it wasn't as nice in the flesh as we thought it would be, so after the customer approved it! we booted it round the workshop for a bit, then lobbed it in the bin………….

Ennech
            Participant
              @ennech

Actually they don't sit well in the workshop unless you happen to live in warmer climes. I have found mine to be very temperature sensitive.

Eric

Anonymous

Mine is in the sitting room. I think the plastic filament can be hydroscopic, so I wouldn't want it in the unheated workshop. Not that there is any benchspace available in the workshop, or in the kitchen, anyway.

Andrew

Styx
                Participant
                  @styx

Here's Mine.

Prusa Mendel

Muzzer
                  Participant
                    @muzzer

It can make a bit of a pong, partic when using ABS. I had to move ours from the office area to the mech workshop due to complaints from the software engineers. Nancies.

Jesse Hancock 1
                    Participant
                      @jessehancock1

Another skill lost. I worry not for myself, I'm too old, but for the next generation and of course Mr Cameroon and his drive to employ those lazy good for nothing…..devil

Like another clever bloke said we can't all be Bankers.

Jesse

Edited By Jesse Hancock 1 on 19/02/2015 12:19:45

Bazyle
                      Participant
                        @bazyle

There was a link on another thread to a service that printed 'all you can fit in a standard mailing box' and printed the mailing box around the parts too.

One of the things about this is that as it is percieved as computer based, clean, 'arty', it is getting more attention from women. So one day there may actually be a decent spread of the sexes in ME and we will get reports on here from women hiding from their husbands in the 'Makerden'.

Ed Duffner
                        Participant
                          @edduffner79357

Four or five of the selections fit my thoughts on 3D printers so I haven't voted yet. I could do with one right now to make a couple of special hinges.

But anyway, I just wanted to share some info, and of course you guys may already know this. In Steve Sedgall's photo there appears to be a fleece type jacket hanging close to the 3D printer. These are known to store huge amounts of static electricity. One of the process Engineer's at HP once did a test on this and found it to be into the thousands of volts (if memory serves). Looks like Steve's Printer is protected inside a case but many of the printers and other devices seen on Youtube etc have exposed electronics waiting to be zapped.

Ed.

Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133
                            Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/02/2015 23:00:22:

It's time you all went to bed, I'll explain the abbreviated answers in the morning.

Jam tomorrow ?

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt

ark

We all know tomorrow never comes, so I'll do it today.

already – already got a printer
                              cost – yes but too expensive
                              quality – yes but they aren't good enough yet
                              No use – no I haven't got a use for one
                              toys – no, they are just toys
                              interest – no, I'm just not interested
                              tooling – yes but there are other tools need more
                              year – yes and I plan to get one within the year
                              future – yes, but in the longer term

I'm amazed that 78% of respondents (as of now) could be classified (in market research jargon) as 'non-rejectors' of 3D printing. I realise those here are (a) reasonably computer savvy and (b) looking at a thread with 3D printer in the title, but the responses are far more positive than I expected.

Neil

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 22/02/2015 09:58:24

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks Neil

Yes, I knew already, but … devil

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt
                                  @neilwyatt

We all know tomorrow never comes, so I'll do it today.

already – already got a printer

cost – yes but too expensive

quality – yes but they aren't good enough yet

No use – no I haven't got a use for one

toys – no, they are just toys

interest – no, I'm just not interested

tooling – yes but there are other tools I need more

year – yes and I plan to get one within the year

future – yes, but in the longer term

I'm amazed that 78% of respondents (as of now) could be classified (in market research jargon) as 'non-rejectors' of 3D printing. I realise those here are (a) reasonably computer savvy and (b) looking at a thread with 3D printer in the title, but the responses are far more positive than I expected.

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                                    @neilwyatt

I have no idea why it screwed teh format up like that!

Neil

Bazyle
                                    Participant
                                      @bazyle

You forgot to put it through hte slicer, Neil, to break it down into layers laugh

Jim Nolan
                                      Participant
                                        @jimnolan76764

I use RPing all the time but would not consider getting one why bother. The commercial offerings are getting cheaper but more importantly the resolution has improved dramatically. The last bits I had printed on one of the newer machines were as the supplier said “the quality is near to injection moulding standards” and it was. This was in burn out material which has tended to be a lower resolution to other offerings in the past.

Then there’s the life short can I be rsd conundrum. Do I really want to be wasting time climbing another learning curve just to get something that won’t achieve the standard I need? Probably not

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)