Has anybody built Beng’s Danni Steam engine.

Advert

Has anybody built Beng’s Danni Steam engine.

Home Forums Stationary engines Has anybody built Beng’s Danni Steam engine.

Viewing 4 posts - 301 through 304 (of 304 total)
  • Author
    Lawrie Bradly
    Participant
      @lawriebradly72996

What a ripper. Excellent job. Congratulations.

By coincidence, I spent a couple of hours today working on my engines, only to find that my adaptations to Beng's design for the twin have completely stuffed up all the clearances, and it won't spin.

What an idiot.

I might though be able to fix it. We'll see. Otherwise it will involve going back to square one for the crankshafts and conrods.

Eventually I'll let you know. Just for now I'm embarrassed.

Advert
      Ian S C
      Participant
        @iansc

Brian, good one, that looks a powerful little engine.

On the last little boiler I made, I took the sides of the furnace and extended up and over the top of the boiler, leaving a gap of about 6 or 8 mm, I extended the bushes for the saftey valve and the steam out let to clear the casing, and this allows the heat to be directed at all the boiler surface. All it needs now is an engine that looks ok. Its the left one in the photo, I painted it with barbecue paint ?? heat proof. The steam engine is a 90* V twin wobbler.

Ian S Cdsc01106 (800x600).jpg

Brian John
        Participant
          @brianjohn93961

That looks very neat but I am not sure my sheet metal working skills are up to it ! I might give it a go next time.

I have given up trying a find a truly heat resistant paint in this country (in Cairns, anyway). It seems that there are some good products in the UK.

chrissie
          Participant
            @chrissie

Gentlemen,

I’m aware that I’m joining this party a little late, last post being more than six years ago. Anyway, I just recently finished my own copy of “Danni” and it runs like a charm. Since I hate purely “me too” posts just as muchg as you do, here’s something fans and builders of Danni alike may appreciate:

I’ve created a true to scale Interactive 3D Animation of Danni and published this on my website. Requires JavaScript to view – no strings attached. No fees, no registration required. The animation is generated in real time on your viewing device, be it mobile phone, pad or desktop computer. I’ advise to use a latge-screen device though.

This is NOT the pre-computed or pre-rendered youtube-like stuff! Expect to be stunned:

Here’s the link,

https://vielzutun.ch/wordpress/Danni_animation/Three.js/Main.html

and this is a teaser image:

Danni_Rendering

This animation becomes “interactive”, because you can

• rotate the spinning model by mouse left-click&drag
            • pan the spinning model by mouse right-clicking&drag
            • zoom in/out via mouse wheel

There’s also a screen menu which allows you to alter the animation speed, stall/restart the animation, unhide/hide those little screw heads and choose from hexagonal allen or torx form or ‘none’ (default), brass, stainless steel or mirror-like material or none.

My further interest in Danny is not in letting it run as fast as possible, or powering some secondary device like a dynamo – quite the opposite: I’d like to tweak it to the minimum stable revolutions/unit of time. Currently I’m already down to approx 1/second, with the stock 80 mm flywheel.

Feedback is welcome. My blog, which is – alas – german only, is rich in Photos, videos and computer-generated illustrations. The text blocks in between could be translated with the help of deepl.com or similar translation services.

Enjoy!

Viewing 4 posts - 301 through 304 (of 304 total)