Glueing aluminium ?

Advert

Glueing aluminium ?

Home Forums Beginners questions Glueing aluminium ?

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133
      On Howi Said:
      […] you are now on my ignore list.

Could someone please tell me how to create an “ignore list” on this new version of the forum ??

I am feeling the need for one ^^^

This is supposed to be a place for discussion

MichaelG.

Advert
      simondavies3
      Participant
        @simondavies3
        On Michael Gilligan Said:

Could someone please tell me how to create an “ignore list” on this new version of the forum ??

+1……

Oldiron
        Participant
          @oldiron

I would rather go down the route of replacing them properly. Not a difficult job at all.

Add on covers will look a mess however it is done.

SillyOldDuffer
            @sillyoldduffer
            On John Doe 2 Said:

Absolutely no need for that outburst, …

As far as glueing metals together being a bad or substandard idea: …

Be careful also when you next fly in an aircraft: Many panels and structural components are bonded together, and the Boeing 787 “Dreamliner” is made largely from bonded carbon fibre.

Keep taking the tablets………

Though what I say may be upsetting, I come in peace!

The forum welcomes everyone with an interest in Model Engineering, whether or not they have an engineering qualification.   Often leads to misunderstandings between those taught engineering as a professional discipline, and those with practical skills.    This topic is an example.

Based on sentences like ” Many panels and structural components are bonded together, and the Boeing 787 “Dreamliner” is made largely from bonded carbon fibre” I conclude that John Doe 2 has no formal engineering training.  If had that background, he would know there is no useful relationship between glue applied professionally by qualified engineers to aircraft construction and his interest in laminating carpet grippers!  Dreamliners are a red-herring, and the evidence is irrelevant.   To an engineer, carpet grippers are a different problem, and one that is poorly understood.   Boeing have experts galore, know which glues are likely to work, how to calculate the stresses, and can test the results.    That aircraft and other vehicles are glued hints that glue might work in John’s project, but nothing is proved.   He either has to find someone who has already successfully glued grippers, or to experiment himself.

The gap between engineering as a pastime and professional assessment has created friction here, because the two parties are separated by a common language.

Hearsay and irrelevant ‘evidence’ is may be accepted at face value in politics, where wishful-thinking rules, but bad news in Engineering where much higher standards apply.  Engineers are careful to establish facts because it’s very difficult to deliver working solutions when the underlying assumptions are duff.

For what it’s worth, I think there’s a significant risk glue won’t work for John.   The problem is that carpet grippers are walked on and the bending stress exerted on the glue bond could be enormous.   Also, glue joints are weak in the side plane in an application where the upper strip risks being struck sideways.   It’s not that I’m against innovation or think the idea of glue is fundamentally daft.   Nothing to do with John personally, the concern is with the technology.

When things get heated, would members please avoid posting offensive statements like ‘Keep taking the tablets…‘   Doesn’t help!

Dave

Journeyman
            Participant
              @journeyman

Might use a ‘C’ shape plastic moulding if you can find the correct size to clip over the aluminium. This is an eBay link I found.

cstrip

This link may help Clip on edgings

John

John Doe 2
              Participant
                @johndoe2

Thanks John, that is the sort of thing I originally had in my head when thinking about this problem.

Not relevant to your post, but I don’t really understand what is going on, elsewhere on this thread. I came onto the beginner’s questions forum and asked a simple question. I expected replies from the experts on here along the lines of “oh, Loctite XYZ is designed for bonding anodised aluminium”.

There have however, been some very useful alternative ideas and suggestions, which I keep saying are interesting and welcome.

I have explained why some of those suggestions won’t work for me, and I did explain exactly what the application was, for general interest – often the first question asked is “can you provide a photograph or tell us the application”.

I do not want to remove and replace all the carpet dividers, if it can be avoided, and I do not want mismatched colours in my home. Nor am I interested in botching anything.

Howi – who cannot now see this 🙂 – has taken a very aggressive stance against me, but I cannot understand why. I have NOT been abusive at all – read my posts carefully instead of scanning them. Howi says changing the strips is easy, and he claims to have done it. So……….WHY WON’T HE TELL ME HOW TO DO IT ???? He seems to be simply trolling.

Other threads on this forum are asking how to glue rubber strips to make tyres or how to electroplate or repair a collet chuck to remove excess play, but nobody is telling those posters to go and buy new components, or that they are botching things. Other posters use Chinese lathes and Mills, and buy tools at Aldi. Perhaps like them, not all of us have deep pockets ?

~ ~ ~

Once again, thank you to everyone else for the sensible suggestions that many of you HAVE made. I will be experimenting and deciding on the best solution for me. My car is off the road right now with a broken road spring that I am currently replacing for it’s MOT, (I am an engineer, thanks), so the carpet dividers will have to wait for a while.

John Doe 2
                Participant
                  @johndoe2

Dave, (SoD), in case you think I am ignoring you, please be assured I am not. The strips – if I go down that route – will be fixed directly on top of the I-beam carpet dividers, which in turn are securely fixed to the substrate underneath ; concrete or wood. So any downwards forces will be fully supported by the whole length of the I-beam dividers, as they are now.

The dividers are fixed about 5-10mm below the level of the carpets each side, so they are very unlikely to ever be struck from the sides.

I have taken all your comments and ideas on board – along with everyone else’s – and I will be coming up with the preferred solution after some tests.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)