Gifted tooling & a lost friend

Advert

Gifted tooling & a lost friend

Home Forums The Tea Room Gifted tooling & a lost friend

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steviegtr
    Participant
      @steviegtr

Not sure if i have posted this before , but it is of the equipment i have in the workshop & some items that were gifted to me. My dear friend Randy Blackburn passed away some time ago & his wife gifted me quite a bit of his tooling to me. I did pay her for a lot of it , But she gave me lots of stock etc. I just wonder in my old age oif 72 that my children will probably give away most of my workshop when I pass. Anyway please give me a thumbs up if you watch the video. Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Advert
      Steviegtr
      Participant
        @steviegtr

https://youtu.be/3Yql4iPsCeo

Sorry here it is.

Steve.

Chris Crew
        Participant
          @chriscrew66644

Steve, I am the same age as you and it has started to trouble me as to what to do with my workshop equipment and tooling which is the fruit of a lifetime’s collection but is criminally underused these days. There’s two sheds and a garage packed with erstwhile Britain’s finest and some later Asian kit and I have no offspring of my own (except two step-grandchildren, both girls) to pass it on to. So, I suppose, it will have to be sold and added to my estate and I am coming under increasing pressure from SWMBO to start thinking about disposal. It will break my heart to see any of it go because, as stupid as it may sound, it gives me pleasure just to potter about in the workshop surrounded by old British machine tools knowing that there isn’t many jobs that I don’t have the facility to do. Some late members’ families have donated machines and material to the club to which I belong so it has now a reasonably well equipped workshop already, but as it has become a charity the assets are no longer the collective property of the rapidly aging membership and would be disposed of by the Charity Commissioners in the event of the club folding so I am reluctant to go down this route. I will probably procrastinate until it is too late and would bet that I am not the only one in this predicament.

Bill Phinn
          Participant
            @billphinn90025
            On Chris Crew Said:

I am coming under increasing pressure from SWMBO to start thinking about disposal.

I don’t think anyone is morally obliged to start preparing for their death by getting rid of stuff they might still want as long as they remain alive. Hold your nerve is my advice.

I had to deal with a late friend’s estate once and though he didn’t have a workshop he had incredible quantities of stuff spread all over a four storey house with vast cellars. It took me literally years to find homes for it all.

I didn’t resent doing it, because I knew I was free to just ring a house clearance company to take it all away if I’d felt it was too much bother finding the right home or the right price for it all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)