Geared Head Oil

Advert

Geared Head Oil

Home Forums Manual machine tools Geared Head Oil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anthony Salisbury
    Participant
      @anthonysalisbury72898
      Does anyone know the best type / weight of oil to use in a gear head lathe?

Thanks
      Ant
      Advert
      Anthony Salisbury
      Participant
        @anthonysalisbury72898
        JasonB
          @jasonb
          Most makers will list a suitable oil in the handbook,  What lathe is it? Its usually a lightweight hydralic type oil.

If its a far eastern lathe then Warco sell suitable oil

Jason
          Anthony Salisbury
          Participant
            @anthonysalisbury72898
            Warco 1224 Gear Head Lathe but I want a well engineered oil not just a cheap replacment.

Cheers
            Ant
            Dugson
            Participant
              @dugson
              Light hydraulic oils are best because they do not froth up with the gear action.
              Dugson
              JasonB
                @jasonb
                From another forum that I didn’t have time too look at yesterday.

Try these people they do several weights of hydralic oil equal to Shell Tellus in small amounts

Jason
                WALLACE
                Participant
                  @wallace
                  I had some fully synthetic car gearbox oil left over from a car project – so I drained and filled the headstock on my Harrison L5 with that ! Definetly quieter than the bog standard gear oil used in there previously – and the main bearing runs cooler if ut’s running at high speed for a few hours.. (yes, I know it shouldn’t and I do have a new set of bearings – but not the spare time to change them  . .).

I would recomend ‘adding’ a magnet somewhere as it’s very effective at removing metal particles from the oil . .  .

WALLACE 
                  WALLACE
                  Participant
                    @wallace
                    I had some fully synthetic car gearbox oil left over from a car project – so I drained and filled the headstock on my Harrison L5 with that ! Definetly quieter than the bog standard gear oil used in there previously – and the main bearing runs cooler if ut’s running at high speed for a few hours.. (yes, I know it shouldn’t and I do have a new set of bearings – but not the spare time to change them  . .).

I would recomend ‘adding’ a magnet somewhere as it’s very effective at removing metal particles from the oil . .  .

WALLACE 
                  Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)