Gas options

Advert

Gas options

Home Forums Workshop Techniques Gas options

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    colin hamilton
    Participant
      @colinhamilton16803

I’ve got a couple of stuck exahust manifold studs and I would like to add some heat to them. I would also like the capability to do some silver soldering/brazing as my model engineering progresses. What would be a good entry point for gas/torch options. I’ve seen some oxy propane kits which use small bottles or would I be better with the sort of plumbers mapp gas torch.

Thanks Colin

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

The usual for silver soldering where you want to get the whole assembly upto temperature fairly quickly is Propane with a burner of around 7Kw. Although MAPP burns at a higher temp the torches are smaller so overall heat output is less.

The starter Sievert sets have the right size burner, mate with a 4bar regulator

You can do a bit of Sif brazing with a torch like that provided the section of the metal is not too great otherwise it won’t get hot enough.

For things like studs you probably want a more localised higher temp probably oxy propane but I’ll leave others who have the kit to advise

john fletcher 1
        Participant
          @johnfletcher1

Regarding the blow lamp and regulator, may I suggest having a visit to a local car boot or auto jumble sale and maybe also finding an empty cylinder there as well. I’m surprised how many set ups I’ve seen for sale, could be that plumbers are using those push on fitting and selling their tooling.

David Jupp
          Participant
            @davidjupp51506

For things like stuck studs,  you might consider an induction heater as an alternative.

These are great for getting heat quickly into the target without unduly heating adjacent items.

Also no naked flame, so less fire risk.

Probably of limited use for silver soldering etc. especially as they are more effective on a ferrous target.

Chris Crew
            Participant
              @chriscrew66644

“could be that plumbers are using those push on fitting and selling their tooling”

I loathe those push-on fittings with a vengeance and plastic piping too! But apart from that, I use a propane torch for most SS jobs, although even the smallest parts seem to absorb or lose a lot of heat if they and not well shielded in a hearth with firebrick or similar.

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

You probably know this already, Chris …

The Sievert ‘Cyclone’ burners are excellent.

MichaelG.

bernard towers
                Participant
                  @bernardtowers37738

I have removed manifold studs before using a stick welder put the electrode on the nd of the stud and the current heats up the stud enough to remove it

martin haysom
                  Participant
                    @martinhaysom48469

how about a carbon arc torch. cheap on evil bay, run mine off a 50 year buzz box welder

noel shelley
                    Participant
                      @noelshelley55608

If your near me then you can use my oxy propane gear or I’ll do it for you – as far as the studs  go. Near Kings Lynn.  For silver soldering use propane. Noel.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)