Fusion 360 Whitworth Threads

Advert

Fusion 360 Whitworth Threads

Home Forums CAD – Technical drawing & design Fusion 360 Whitworth Threads

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Mike Donnerstag
    Participant
      @mikedonnerstag

I'm just learning Fusion 360 and noticed there were no British threads as standard. I found that custom threads could be added if you downloaded or created the relevant XML file. I added ME and BA threads in this way. However, I couldn't find any file for BSW and BSF threads. Does anyone have XML files for these?

Many thanks,

Mike

Advert
      Mike Donnerstag
      Participant
        @mikedonnerstag
        Paul Lousick
        Participant
          @paullousick59116

Hi Mike,

The actual thread profile is not normaly added to a part as it increase the file size and takes longer for the computer to calculate and display. I use Solidworks, not Fusion 360 and have rarely modelled a screw thread.

eg. A bolt with a thread profile would display quickly but if a large assembly has 100 of these bolts, it would slow the display time unless you have a very fast computer. (Some of my assemblies contain hundreds of individual parts and the computer would crash if the bolts had un-necessary features)

If I want to display a bolt thread on a drawing, I add a surface texture to the part which looks like the thread. (similar to adding wood grain, colour, etc).

Paul.

Martin King 2
          Participant
            @martinking2

Hi All,

Fusion360 offers the option of just showing a thread form in a drawing/model or actually modelling it in the file. It is a simple check box in the thread dialog box.

Cheers, Martin

JasonB
              @jasonb

I've got Whit for Alibre, will have a look later to see what the file type is as it was a while ago that I added all the options.

Alibre will also just put the call out on the drawing and show it as double lines so you know it's threaded and not just a hole.

JasonB
                @jasonb

Sorry mine are in an Alibre file extension .THD

Steamer1915
                Participant
                  @steamer1915

I'm sure I have the Whitworth and BA threads somewhere. Give me a while and I'll try to find them.

Be aware though that every time Fusion 360 updates, they seem to be thrown out and you need to re-load them.

Steve.

Steamer1915
                  Participant
                    @steamer1915

Mike,

I have found the XML document for the BSW threads. Not sure if this works for BSF as well, the thread form being the same, just the difference in TPI. I don't know how to upload them here but I have your email address and will send you them that way, along with the BSP+Nonstandard Threads file. Not sure what's in the latter without checking.

How to upload an XML document to this site? Anyone?

Best regards,

Steve.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

Not at the moment, either use PM or put them somewhere like Dropbox and put the link in your post.

chris mcnicoll
                      Participant
                        @chrismcnicoll83540
                        Posted by Steamer1915 on 20/07/2020 11:51:20:

Mike,

I have found the XML document for the BSW threads. Not sure if this works for BSF as well, the thread form being the same, just the difference in TPI. I don't know how to upload them here but I have your email address and will send you them that way, along with the BSP+Nonstandard Threads file. Not sure what's in the latter without checking.

How to upload an XML document to this site? Anyone?

Best regards,

Steve.

hi steve is it possible to get this file from you please?

many thanks

chris

Steamer1915
                        Participant
                          @steamer1915

Hi Chris,

Could you send me a PM please?

Best regards,

Steve.

chris mcnicoll
                          Participant
                            @chrismcnicoll83540
                            Posted by Steamer1915 on 22/01/2021 09:53:46:

Hi Chris,

Could you send me a PM please?

Best regards,

Steve.

PM sent Steve, many thanks

Clayton Wade Read
                            Participant
                              @claytonwaderead

Hi,

Is anyone able to send me the BSW Thread XML file?

any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards,

Clayton

Andy Pugh
                              Participant
                                @andypugh44463

I have created a macro / spreadsheet to create XML files for Fusion 360 threads.

https://github.com/andypugh/FusionThreads

There is a ready-to-use Whitworth XML there (based on mid-tolerance medium threads)

To create your own, Duplicate the Whitworth tab, type in the tread data then run the macro (View->Macros to see it)

It will create an XML file based on the active worksheet in the same directory as the spreadsheet file.

Edited By Andy Pugh on 26/12/2021 18:35:27

Bill Pudney
                                Participant
                                  @billpudney37759

Are accurate thread profiles really required?? In my lifetime of being involved in producing and analysing professionally produced drawings, the only time that accurate thread profiles had to be drawn were at night school during my apprenticeship, and even then it wasn't about the thread profile, but the accuracy of the drawing.

Surely this is a classic case of "want" over "need"?? Convince me I'm wrong.

cheers

Bill

JasonB
                                    @jasonb

Bill, I'm sure Fuson can be used like Alibre in which case at the 3D modeling stage you can place a threaded hole or thread an external part. During modeling depemding on what settings you choose just be shown as a simple second line much as it would if on a 2D drawing or you can have a visual representation.

At the time you come to produce the 2D working drawings you can again choose how it appears on the drawing but more importantly it will add a thread call out automatically on the drawing you don't have to try and remember if you were going to thread that hole 1/4BSF or 1/4 x 20 UNC from when you design the part some time ago.

The visual is useful for things like that Kant clamp assembly I drew the other day as it is easy to see what parts are threaded but not something I would want on a 2D drawing.

I'd go for the option on the left for 2D working drawings, I have the default set for it to include that M8 call out onto the drawing by itself as well as the second broken lines. It will adjust the position of the broken line to suit the selected threads minor diameter and also the length if entered all I need click at design stage is M8 coarse,

Click for larger clearer image

threads.jpg

But on a 3D rendering or animation having the visual thread can make things easier to understand as well as some colour to indicate material types. Again watch on youtube for larger screen

So useful to have the data there if the user wants to make use of it, don't know how you would easily depict say an external thread otherwise as you can't get your pen out and simply draw the second broken lines onto a bit of round bar.

Edited By JasonB on 27/12/2021 07:40:12

Bill Pudney
                                    Participant
                                      @billpudney37759

Thanks for that JasonB, I can see the advantage that you describe. I am clearly a luddite because I still think it's a (slightly) nice to have rather than something of much value. It's probably an age thing!!

cheers

Bill

Roderick Jenkins
                                      Participant
                                        @roderickjenkins93242

Bill,

A fully modelled thread is very useful for 3D printing. Although the resolution of a small printed female thread is not great, they can be cleaned up easily with a tap. In my experience, tapping a plain hole in a 3D print runs the risk of delaminating the print.

Happy new year,

Rod

SillyOldDuffer
                                          @sillyoldduffer
                                          Posted by Bill Pudney on 27/12/2021 09:42:52:

… I am clearly a luddite because I still think it's a (slightly) nice to have rather than something of much value…

As always, the value depends on what you're doing. Mostly not sensible to fully model threads because they use lots of computer resource for no benefit. Fully modelling ordinary nuts and bolts is normally daft.

However, as already mentioned fully modelled threads are good for 3D-printing and realistic general assembly drawings. They can also be used to animate things like screw-jacks to check interferences and so forth as a mechanism operates across it's range. Certainly a minority interest, but definitely valuable in their place.

Dave

Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 27/12/2021 12:40:10

Bill Pudney
                                          Participant
                                            @billpudney37759

I had never considered 3D printing. So now I'm convinced that it's worthwhile in some areas. It still seems like a lot of (computer) power being used to draw pretty pictures though. That's what passes for progress I suppose.

cheers

Bill

Matt C Beech
                                            Participant
                                              @mattcbeech

Updated Andy’s spreadsheet tool to include BSF threads too, just download the XML file for the full Whitworth thread types:

https://github.com/andypugh/FusionThreads

Matt

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)