Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1

Advert

Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 383 total)
  • Author
    JasonB
      @jasonb

Oh dear, the word is out that I have a new Machine. crying 2 Got a phone call last week to say my Niece had bought a second hand lamp to take to Uni and after repainting it had found the bracket that holds the shade had cracked and would my new toy tool be able to make a replacement?

It was posted to me and after drawing up a suitable replacement that CAM was done to produce the code and a pair of brackets cut from a bit of 2" x 0.5" 6082. All milling done with one of Ketan's 6mm HSS aluminium specific cutters. After cutting apart on the bandsaw the counterbores were added on the lathe at the same time as the waste was turned away. Think it will do the job.

Edited By JasonB on 17/07/2019 20:57:38

Advert
      Jeff Dayman
      Participant
        @jeffdayman43397

Nice job for your niece Jason. Night and day improvement over the cheap plastic original bracket!

JasonB
          @jasonb

Thank's Jeff, I just hope she does not want all the other pivots remade to match!

Ian Johnson 1
          Participant
            @ianjohnson1

They turned out nice Jason. Are they single flute cutters? It seems to be cutting very well with swarf flying all over the place! I have bought some solid carbide single flute cutters 3, 4 and 6mm (not Arc) and have yet to try them out on my KX1.

Ian

JasonB
              @jasonb

That is a HSS 2-flute cutter with the steeper angle specifically for aluminium and not coated to help stop swarf sticking. It is also a long series one so could probably be run a bit harder if standard length. ARC do the carbide version too and that does come in standard and long length and like the HSS work well on brass and bronze too.

The only downside with the single flute cutters that I can think of is you have to feed at half the rate of a 2-flute if keeping the chip load and speed the same.

This is another of teh HSS 2-flute sin action on th emanual mill

Ian Johnson 1
              Participant
                @ianjohnson1

Nice demo, I've bought HSS cutters from Arc they are top quality, they cut great and leave a super finish. My carbide single flutes will be mainly used to cut plastic.

JasonB
                  @jasonb

Nothing too exciting this weekend, just used the KX3 to profile and drill the cylinder flange for the Little Midget engine. If anyone wants to see the video then shout and I'll upload it.

From this round flange

To this

J

Ron Laden
                  Participant
                    @ronladen17547
                    Posted by JasonB on 21/07/2019 17:09:19:

Nothing too exciting this weekend, just used the KX3 to profile and drill the cylinder flange for the Little Midget engine. If anyone wants to see the video then shout and I'll upload it.

From this round flange

To this

J

I would like to see the video if I may Jason

JasonB
                      @jasonb

There's always one, here you go Ronwink 2

Material Grey cast iron, 6mm 3-flute carbide cutter, 4000rpm, 300mm/min feed, 1mm OOC (0.6mm Finish cut). I just did a basic contour rather than a separate clearing cut first.

Ian Johnson 1
                      Participant
                        @ianjohnson1

There's always two! But I'm a bit slower than Ron! Nice video Jason

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Another epic adventure for Ian & Ron.

After a slight glitch with the latest Alibre update which was very promptly dealt with by their forum and support I was able to do the CAM for the cylinder head. The stock was roughed out on the lathe from some 50mm CI bar and two holes drilled and tapped where the valve holes will eventually be bored and used these to hold it to a block that could be held in the clamp.

Video starts off with the adaptive clearing with 6mm 3-flute carbide, 4500rpm, 300mm/min feed. 5mm high cut x 1mm DOC. I set the  CAM to cut in 5mm deep increments to use the edge of the tool and it then works back up in 1mm steps to cut to the final 0.5mm that is left for finishing. Bit of chatter from the tool when cutting conventionally but it's happier climb milling. tooling for the finish contour at the top of the valve guides as I wanted a sharp internal corner.

Then onto the 3D contour using 6mm 4-flute R1 corner rounding carbide, 4750rpm, 400mm/min feed and 0.33mm stepdown, could have done finer on the more horizontal surfaces but happy to do a bit of file work to get that "cast look"

Finally Drilling with 3mm split point stub drill 2500rpm.

Pleased with the finish on the cast iron and I can recommend a CNC machine to all those who moan about cast iron being messy, I did not even get my hands dirty.

It's about time that Neil stopped browsing through safety data sheets and got his KX1 up and runningdevil

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2019 10:48:28

Ron Laden
                          Participant
                            @ronladen17547

Nice job again Jason and yet another question, c,mon you know you would miss me if I didnt come along and have something to ask..smiley

When programming do you have to enter every single movement of the tool, i.e. when it came off a cut and ran through a small circle and then moved back into cutting is all of that down to the programmer..?

Ron

JasonB
                              @jasonb

Ron, that was one of the things that had put me off CNC in the past, all this talk of writing G-code and I also remember watching a couple of guys on the SMEE stand at an exhibition spend ages just trying to machine a simple flat surface that I could have done in a fraction of the time manually.

However CAM has come to the rescue and will produce all the code for me. I do need to enter thing like type of tool and how fast I want it to run, DOC etc and one or two other things. It is then a question of deciding on the type of operation and just clicking on the overall shape for things like the contour or the holes for drilling and even then I can just click one and tick a box so it selects all holes of the same size. There are several other tweaks that can be used to suit the part in hand but it works out all the paths from the info entered.

There is an extensive tool library with preset speeds and feed for various materials, so just select a tool and adjust the parameters to suit which can be saved

There are six basic operations to form that part

1. 3D adaptive clearing. This roughing cut removes the bulk and leaves 0.5mm for later finishing

2. 2D contour . Finish cut around the tops of the two valve guides

3. 3D contour this refines the overall curved shape in shallow steps

4. Horizontal contour which finishes the flat horizontal areas of the flange and skims the top of the valve guides

5. 2D Vertical contour which finishes the vertical faces of the oval flanges each side

6. Drilling

Probably took me 1/4hr to do the Cam but would be far less if I knew what I was doing then click a button and the machine spits out just less than 29,000 lines of G-code. Other facts you may be interested in is that the cutters travelled a total of 29.18m and removed 65.1% of the original block in 1min 14sec.

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2019 17:08:08

Ron Laden
                              Participant
                                @ronladen17547

Thanks Jason, impressive the way it works and also the information it gives at the end of the job.

Ian Skeldon 2
                                Participant
                                  @ianskeldon2

Fantastic to watch Jason, thanks for sharing. If I had the knowledge to back it up then a cnc mill would certainly be on the cards, am I right in thinking it makes the rotary table almost obsolete?

John Haine
                                  Participant
                                    @johnhaine32865

Almost? Totally!

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

With a 3 axis machine like I have then the CNC will do just about all a Rotary Table can when it is in the horizontal position but I would still need it for things like cutting gears or drilling radial holes when in the vertical position so would not be getting rid of it

If the machine had a 4th axis then the rotary table would gather some dust assuming it was not used as the basis for the 4th axis by fitting a stepper motor to it.

Edited By JasonB on 28/07/2019 19:57:10

Old School
                                      Participant
                                        @oldschool

I am finally starting to get the hang of Fusion 360 and my KX1

p1010664.jpg

This is the first project it is an adaptor plate for a 2.5cc tether car engine to fit a Zimmerman disk induction system instead of the drum valve induction apparently faster the one at the top is the original one that has stripped threads the blue one a practice run and the one on right the last attempt. Just a little more work to do on it the the big holes have a 3mm countersunk screw it them with a head diameter of 4mm, just waiting for a spot drill to arrive to put the countersink in.

Old School
                                        Participant
                                          @oldschool

With this initial success I have moved on to making some pistons for 1.5cc Kapu tether car engines. The pistons are made from high silicon content aluminium, its nice to machine but wears the tools out quickly.

p1010653.jpg

I make the piston blanks double ended so you can use the other end to hold it while machining. The gudgeon pin holes also go in at this stage.

p1010658.jpg

All set up on the machine and milling under way.

p1010662.jpg

The pistons all hollowed out maching time just over 4 minutes each at lot quicker than doing by hand on my milling machine and the are all the same.

The final operation is to turn them to fit the to the refurbished liners.

Former Member
                                          Participant
                                            @formermember32069

[This posting has been removed]

JasonB
                                              @jasonb

Good to see another one of these machines putting out some work which looks to have turned out well.

Emgee
                                              Participant
                                                @emgee
                                                Posted by Old School on 13/08/2019 10:37:05:

With this initial success I have moved on to making some pistons for 1.5cc Kapu tether car engines. The pistons are made from high silicon content aluminium, its nice to machine but wears the tools out quickly.

Search for some PCD inserts, some may cost £30 each inc post but they are available at £10 for 2 delivered from some sellers, those from China may not be the same quality as the more expensive but I find they are super inserts for high silicon and all tougher aluminium alloys and give super finish even when using fine finishing cuts.
                                                Available in different styles and nose radius but I tend to use the 04 rad for finishing.
                                                CCMT060204 PCD, DCMT070204 PCD, VCMT110304 PCD.

Emgee

Edited By Emgee on 13/08/2019 14:12:28

Old School
                                                Participant
                                                  @oldschool

Thanks Emgee thanks what I use for the final turning to size, the cuts you can take are tiny you can see the tiny bits of metal coming off the piston in the cutting fluid. Its the £30 ones that I use not worth using cheap tools on a lot of time and expensive material.

Barrie 5 of the piston already have new homes in Sweden and Switzerland just got to fit them to the liners, the rest are for my son Aaron

Next race is in Basel over the bank holiday weekend followed closely by one in Poland. Going to miss the nats this year.

Ian Johnson 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ianjohnson1
                                                    Posted by Old School on 13/08/2019 10:37:05:

p1010662.jpg

The pistons all hollowed out maching time just over 4 minutes each at lot quicker than doing by hand on my milling machine and the are all the same.

The KX1 did a really nice job machining the inside of the pistons. This is what CNC is all about! My KX1 has been idle for a while, it needs to do some work!

Ian

JasonB
                                                      @jasonb

next part for the Midget engine that could be done on the CNC were the rocker arms which were cut on the opposite ends of a bit of 1.5" x 0.25" flat steel bar.

First a clearing cut all round with 6mm 3-flute cutter at full depth plus 1.1mm to give the later 1mm R corner mill clearance, this then rises up and roughs out the top contour in 0.5mm steps.

Followed by a 4mm dia 4-flute 1mm R corner cutter working it's way down in 0.2mm steps on the flatter surfaces then 1mm as it gets to the vertical.

Side shot of the work so far.

Then a shot after it was sawn off the bar and held in machined jaws to bring down to 5mm thickness in the X3

Then back with the 4mm bit to contour the other side again held in the machined jaws

Finished parts after a lick with a needle file.

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 383 total)