Foundry recommendation

Advert

Foundry recommendation

Home Forums General Questions Foundry recommendation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Entwistle
    Participant
      @andrewentwistle

I have been asked to help in replacing four church railing support columns. Does anyone have a recommendation of a foundry who could cast in cast iron or possibly aluminium from a 3D printed pattern (with suitable draft angles and shrinkage allowance)? Overall length including mounting spike is around 500mm. I am in Manchester, but could easily post the pattern(s).

Andrew.

Railing_2024-Jun-08_08-08-57AM-000_CustomizedView17229471807IMG-20240604-WA0002

Advert
      mgnbuk
      Participant
        @mgnbuk

You could try H Downs in Huddersfield

I had one-off iron castings done there for work (including the patterns) some years ago. Contact at the time was Nigel Downs.

Some years ago there was a TV program about the first cast iron bridge at Ironbridge which included making a scale replica (half size IIRC) cast in the manner of the time & erected as it would have been done at the time. H Downs supplied the castings.

Nigel B.

Andrew Entwistle
        Participant
          @andrewentwistle

Thank you Nigel, I’ve dropped H Downs an email.

Andrew.

John Haine
          Participant
            @johnhaine32865

Home

Bo’sun
            Participant
              @bosun58570

Good afternoon Andrew,

Have you tried the foundry at “Blists Hill” Victorian Town, Ironbridge?

JasonB
                @jasonb

The patterns I have been making and doing the CAD for over the last couple of years are being cast by these two both iron and aluminium

Graydon or Purbrite.

re the 3D patterns you will need to print them with a good wall thickness and at least 50% fill if they are to survive being used for more than one casting, failure to do so can result in this when the pattern is pulled from airset sand which is what most use these days.

ideal failure

duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1

I’ve used http://www.jte-castings.co.uk/

In Wigan, very helpful. There is also a foundry in Altrincham, Whiteheads I think, but never dealt with them.

Andrew Entwistle
                  Participant
                    @andrewentwistle

Thank you all for the suggested foundries and to Jason for the heads up on required print strength. Three options are within 40 minutes drive so I will start there.

Andrew.

noel shelley
                    Participant
                      @noelshelley55608

In view of the application DO NOT even consider aluminium ! A wooden pattern will last and be far better, and kept safe can be used 100s of times if need be. Noel.

vintagengineer
                      Participant
                        @vintagengineer

Hoyles in London might have the patterns in stock.  https://www.jameshoyleandson.co.uk/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)