Fobco Star Questions

Advert

Fobco Star Questions

Home Forums Manual machine tools Fobco Star Questions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    manycrumbs
    Participant
      @manycrumbs

I’ve recently acquired a Fobco Star and have a few questions that I’m hoping for help with.

1.) The grease nipple on the front of the drill is at an angle and the threads in the hole don’t seem to be cut far enough to allow it to thread all the way home to the nut. Is this likely to be an issue, or best left alone?

IMG_20240917_164218

2.) Can anyone identify the make of the chuck? Google isn’t getting me very far. Also, if anyone has any chuck disassembly guidance that would be appreciated! (Is it likely to be similar to disassembling a Jacobs?)

IMG_20240917_165209

3.) I notice in this image (from the Lathes.co.uk website) that there are spacers/washers on the pillar between the table and the base etc. Currently, mine doesn’t have these — should it? Is it worth adding some? If so, what material would be best?

img8

Apologies if these questions have been addressed elsewhere, I didn’t have much luck searching for them, or if I’ve posted in the wrong place.

Advert
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

to me the nipple does not look like its square with the hole, also grease nipple threads are all very close to one another so could be wrong rate. The washers look like a fancy extra in leather, I suppose it would stop the table baging on to the base or the motor hitting the collar. Never seen that done before.

Bazyle
        Participant
          @bazyle

If the oil nipple leaks apply some plumbers ptfe tape.
          Is the chuck faulty? It is very rare indeed to actually take one apart.
          The washers are either someone putting felt on to stop chips getting into the gap or sleeves to make up for a worn casting.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)