Fly cutting

Advert

Fly cutting

Home Forums Beginners questions Fly cutting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    larry phelan 1
    Participant
      @larryphelan1

Good morning fellow metalbashers,

I have a question regarding flycutting which I do not understand.

I have been given a number of 10mm plates,150×150, some a little bigger, with quite a lot of surface rust and some pitting, but quite good underneath. When cleaning them up with a flycutter, I find that the surface does not end up flat all over. There tends to be ridges and hollows across the surface, even when I tried to overlap the sweeps of the cutter. I ,m sure there is a simple reason for this and someone knows it. Pray share !

I did clean off most of the heavy rust with a wire brush and a flap disc,out of respect for the cuter, so what,s wrong ?

Not sure what I will use the plates for, but too good to scrap them , and there are more to be had !

🔇

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Are the ridges and hollows circular eg the shape that the cutter is swinging. Or are they at the edge of where cuts overlap and therefore parallel to the direction of feed?

larry phelan 1
        Participant
          @larryphelan1

Good morning Jason,the ridges are along the line of the feed.

larry phelan 1
          Participant
            @larryphelan1

Good morning Jason, not sure if I got my reply right. The ridges are along the line of the cut, in the direction of feed.

Martin of Wick
            Participant
              @martinofwick

You can only take light cuts with a FC. Assuming tool is good and mounted ok and non active slides are locked off, seems like the feed is too high in relation to cutter speed (and or cut too deep).

I dont know your set up or what you are machining but say if at .005in depth of cut you aim to take off 0,0015 to 0.002in each pass of the cutter and your max calculated cutter rpm is 100 your feed rate would be about 1/4 in min.  Raise rpm to surface speed for material in question and adjust feed accordingly, if you can go at 500 rpm then the feed rate can increase to 1 in/min for the above example.

Martin of Wick
              Participant
                @martinofwick

I may have misunderstood your question. If the ridges are at right angles to the sweep of the cutter, then it is likely that the workpiece is not normal to the axis of the cutter sweep, ie is your mill trammed correctly? The wider sweep of a fly cutter will show up any errors much more that a smaller diameter milling cutter.

Always useful to post a photo

larry phelan 1
                Participant
                  @larryphelan1

Thanks for that Martin, I can go at 500 rpm or more if required.

Perhaps my feed rate is wrong, so will try different rates.

Dept of cut was very little, keeping in mind the state of the surface.

Martin of Wick
                  Participant
                    @martinofwick

Is that 500 rpm based on the calculated surface speed for the diameter of the cutter vs material  concerned, or just the minimum speed of your machine?

With fly cutting, you need to respect the fundamentals of feed and speed calculations. If using HSS cutter the surface speed for free cutting steel maybe 25m/min. As you probably don’t know the type steel, you may have to vary around calculated values until you get the best result. A sharp carbide cutter can do about 3 x HSS rate on a hobby mill.

Other things you might ned to consider – the way the work piece is held ie clamped in a vice and non parallel to the machine table or grot and rust interfering with the mounting or is the work piece itself deformed possibly not parallel?

Martin of Wick
                    Participant
                      @martinofwick

calculate rpm from (1000xSurface speed m/min) divided by (Pi x cutter diameter mm)

ditto feed (imperial inches min)  from rpm x no cutter teeth x tooth load in thou inch eg 500x1x.002

Sorry about the mixed units, just the way my brain is wired!

JasonB
                        @jasonb

If they are in the direction of feed and at the edge of the overlap then I would say you have a tram problem, if feeding with X axis then it is Nod. The column leaning backwards or forwards.

If the ridges were curved then that would be more likely the cuter loosing it’s edge due to too fast or mill scale taking the edge off if it is hot rolled plate then the blunt cutter tends to ride over the work or push the unsupporte dmiddle down.

As for speed with an HSS cutter swinging say 80mm dia you want 100rpm to get Martin’s 25m/min and a snails pace feed to go with it. Changing to a solid or insert carbide cutter then you could run faster. I tend to run a bit faster with a HSS and cobalt cutter as it is hard to hand feed any slower, this if it starts half way through is 300rpm with an 80mm swing dia.

larry phelan 1
                        Participant
                          @larryphelan1

Thanks very much to both Jason and Martin.  A number of good points there to check out.Just for the record, my mill is a Chester Lux, so if the column is tilted I may need to shim it, not a handy job !

I will need to study the speeds and feeds ect since I did not pay too much attention to them. Thanks again for the feedback, such a lot to learn.

bernard towers
                          Participant
                            @bernardtowers37738

dont forget if you have only machined 1 side it could be stress related

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)