Flash Steam Hydroplanes

Advert

Flash Steam Hydroplanes

Home Forums Model Boats Flash Steam Hydroplanes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Windy
    Participant
      @windy30762

My last run of the 2009 season

Advert
      Windy
      Participant
        @windy30762
        Niloch
        Participant
          @niloch
          Windy,
          I’m not surprised you have what looks like a safety net!!!   Tell us more.  Where can these things be seen?  Not withstanding the current thread Metric vs Imperial, how fast: miles, knots, kilometres/hour, I don’t care.  You seemed to hold the hydroplane for a second or two with the propellor whizzing away creating a lot of spray,  why do you do that?
          Half a century ago I had a Veron Police launch with an ED Fury equipped with a watercooled head  –  memories, memories!
          Excellent post, much appreciated.
          Circlip
          Participant
            @circlip
            Well I’ll raise your Veron to a “Sea Hornet” with a POS ED Hornet and an “Adamcraft Seaplane Tender” with an ED Racer.  

Regards  Ian.
            Windy
            Participant
              @windy30762

Hi, pleased that it was interesting if you go on http://www.onthewire.co.uk a great site for venues, dates, history and present day tethered car and hydroplane activities.>>

I am trying show tethered hydroplane racing is still alive and kicking as there is not much about it in the magazines.>>

This is my procedure for a flash steam hydro run.

Warm up on the bench, check water and fuel, fit starter cord, make sure bridle wires are clear, wade out and fasten to attachment wire, fasten bungee to front sponson hook, bungee and hydro supported by helper while I pressurise burner, when hot enough close steam release valve, pump water to generator till you feel pressure then pull starter cord.

When engine starts helper steps back and I load the engine with the propeller in the water, as the power builds you give a push to the boat and pray.

Speed builds up on every lap, when I think it’s fast enough my hand goes up for 5 100 metre timed laps.

It was going very fast and did over 107 mph but if timed 2 laps earlier 113 mph plus would have been achieved.

Checking video of run with stopwatch 2 laps before timed laps verified 113mph speed. The flash steam record is 120+mph held by Bob Kirtley. See him go on a fast run and my hydro seems slow.

Timing is done by 3 stopwatches and the average taken.

H/S is an issue we take very seriously e.g. all bridle wires can only be bought from one source and are tested, there are rules for the various classes.

Hope this rekindles interest in a very old side of Model Power Boat Racing.

>>

Niloch
              Participant
                @niloch
                Posted by Circlip on 17/11/2009 12:19:29:

Well I’ll raise your Veron to a “Sea Hornet” with a POS ED Hornet and an “Adamcraft Seaplane Tender” with an ED Racer.  

Regards  Ian.

I don’t know  –  born with a silverspoon etc.etc.  My brother and I eventually pooled resources and bought a second-hand Ohlson & Rice  (spelling probably incorrect); this was a glo-plug job and maybe about 4.5c.c.  –  what a beast!  Are O&R still around?  Used it for a control-line flying wing; I think we had one flight out of it on a windy day before huge repairs were necessary.  My brother still has the O&R.
                And then, of course, there were Jetex 50s; what was that about memories??
                (Sorry, vertical line denoting a quote has inexplicably lengthened upon editing).

Edited By Niloch on 17/11/2009 12:54:27

Circlip
                Participant
                  @circlip
                  Sorry Windy, had to post this:- http://www.ffscale.co.uk/page4d.htm for Niloch.

Regards  Ian

PS., chuck “Jetex” into the Bing box.
                  Niloch
                  Participant
                    @niloch
                    Many thanks Ian.  I had no idea!  We’ll be admonished for using the wrong forum!
                    Needless to say many thanks to Windy too for the information.

Edited By Niloch on 17/11/2009 14:46:12

Windy
                    Participant
                      @windy30762

Bit of a mixture this time this is probably going to be my last season with the model flash steam hydro so can concentrate on a full scale project.

Had an interesting natter with Fred Reeve last night I met him a few years ago at Hull East Park and he became my mechanic for the day.

He then built a flash steamer and yesterday wanted my view on his steamer being like a flame thrower when run one of many things that causes that is no load on the engine and excess fuel being delivered.

Fred and his Son also have other projects that are close to my other speed interests.

**LINK**

Next weekend see's the start of UK Speed week at Elvington, Pendine and other venues.

**LINK**

To end this post last night I went to my local Church for a pint of holy water (Theakston) and met one of the young bar men off duty with his girlfriend which was a very interesting conversation as the lass is an International Kick Boxer and been all over the World with her sport.

I challenged her to a competitionwink after I've finished my 5 week Physio course at the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program

Edited By Windy on 10/05/2016 12:09:16

Edited By Windy on 10/05/2016 12:11:42

Windy
                      Participant
                        @windy30762
                        My model flash steam hydroplane friend Bob and at present time record opposition phoned the other night about this weekends 2 day meeting at Kingsbury water park.
                        His model is going very well and last time out did its fastest timed run 124.77 mph.
                        He discussed his high temperature problems to his cast iron piston and cylinder my engine has very few problems that way.
                        We discussed the dry lubricants we use moly and graphite.
                        I use moly on the cam and stellite follower with favourable results.
                        The steel cylinder liner plus cast iron piston are coated generously with Graphos again very few mishaps.
                        Bob uses moly on the piston told him I found when I used it on the steam inlet poppet valve it seized I think the very high temperature altered its properties and it seemed abrasive.
                        Moly dry paste temperature range -50°C to +450°C. according to Rocol.
                        So Bob was going to clean the moly from the piston then coat with Graphos.
                        His model engine is a work of art compared to my agricultural looking one.
                        The moral of the story is you help your competition even if your advice means he could break your speed record.
                        I see the same thing at the motorcycle speed meetings I attend.
                        I would like to see him with the record again as he has held it many times and his article in the 1990 Model Engineer Magazine inspired me to have a go at making one.
                        Records are there to be broken and all the best to Bob on Sunday.

Edited By Windy on 24/08/2018 03:26:03

Edited By Windy on 24/08/2018 03:28:20

Hopper
                        Participant
                          @hopper

Its good that you help each other out. Let us know how he goes.

Windy
                          Participant
                            @windy30762
                            Posted by Hopper on 24/08/2018 04:30:11:

Its good that you help each other out. Let us know how he goes

You can find the results of the model hydroplanes in **LINK** details out at start of every month..

But will keep you informed as soon as I know how Bob got on.

Am hoping to see the full size speed record boats having a go at Coniston speed week 29 October to 2nd November.

Another fantastic meeting and hope so see Miss Albatross perform again to better its record some of the teams helpers I meet at the Elvington straightliners meetings **LINK**

Miss Albatross team **LINK**

Pete Rimmer
                            Participant
                              @peterimmer30576

Hey Windy, I see you're into your landspeed racing. Were you at this week's top-speed Tuesday at Elvington?

Windy
                              Participant
                                @windy30762
                                Posted by Pete Rimmer on 24/08/2018 09:51:23:

Hey Windy, I see you're into your landspeed racing. Were you at this week's top-speed Tuesday at Elvington?

I go to most of the Top Speed Events at Elvington it's a social meeting for me meeting new enthusiasts and competitors from my era.

At last 2 day event Pete Williams who is only a few months older than me did 180mph a bit slow as has done over 200mph also building a gas turbine 3 three wheel projectile.

Here is a link to Pete's early sprint bike **LINK**

At last Elvington a road legal bike did 258mph set only on a low boost setting 3 higher settings to play with hope it will be back for record attempts next month maybe the Isle of Man steam bike will be there as well.

Windy
                                Participant
                                  @windy30762
                                  Posted by Hopper on 24/08/2018 04:30:11:

Its good that you help each other out. Let us know how he goes.

Have spoken to Bob today but he had to stay at home as family health problems had to come first.

Pete Rimmer
                                  Participant
                                    @peterimmer30576
                                    Posted by Windy on 27/08/2018 15:21:50:

Posted by Pete Rimmer on 24/08/2018 09:51:23:

I go to most of the Top Speed Events at Elvington it's a social meeting for me meeting new enthusiasts and competitors from my era.

At last 2 day event Pete Williams who is only a few months older than me did 180mph a bit slow as has done over 200mph also building a gas turbine 3 three wheel projectile.

Here is a link to Pete's early sprint bike **LINK**

At last Elvington a road legal bike did 258mph set only on a low boost setting 3 higher settings to play with hope it will be back for record attempts next month maybe the Isle of Man steam bike will be there as well.

Last week's meet my old bike was there and it's now-owner cracked 200mph for the first time. I got a nice text off him when I was at work.

I never went to Elvington myself, but I did quite a few top-speed meetings at Woodbridge.

Windy
                                    Participant
                                      @windy30762

Pete Rimmer

I might know him a friend Andy did his first 205 mph at the last Elvington 2 day top speed.

He said the previous owner of his first generation Busa had fitted the turbo and it had a fast history.

It's record attempts next month and I will.be there.

Pete Rimmer
                                      Participant
                                        @peterimmer30576

Yeah that's my bike. It was only the second bike in the UK to crack 200mph on a totally standard engine. I owned it 12 years, started out bog standard, built two whole turbo systems for it and ended up making over 400hp

When I decided to sell it I waited a whole year for the right person to come along. Couldn't be happier for Andy he's a great guy.

Windy
                                        Participant
                                          @windy30762
                                          Posted by Pete Rimmer on 28/08/2018 07:34:31:

Yeah that's my bike. It was only the second bike in the UK to crack 200mph on a totally standard engine. I owned it 12 years, started out bog standard, built two whole turbo systems for it and ended up making over 400hp

When I decided to sell it I waited a whole year for the right person to come along. Couldn't be happier for Andy he's a great guy.

Suppose we should be on Motorcycle General Discussion

Andy been in contact after his favourable comment I would be interested in your bike tuning days at speed attempts,

A change from the old Triumphs with Shorrocks blowers on big doses of Nitro.

Windy
                                          Participant
                                            @windy30762

Spoke to my fellow model steam hydro enthusiast Bob after his day at Kingsbury Water Park he has the steamer going fast did a lap at 126mph and still accelerating.
                                            But an aerodynamic problem arose and his hydro became airborne have been there myself at 130mph plus.
                                            Another problem then happened on his last attempt a pipe fractured.
                                            A problem if nobody takes the reins to run the meetings next year as the main organiser is talking of packing in that could be the end of Kingsbury.
                                            If the venue is still available next year will have to get my hydro modifications finished now competition is hotting up again.
                                            A bit of a long video showing three flash steam record holders of past and present at one meeting a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09kV1kxVgHk

Edited By Windy on 11/09/2018 12:14:18

Edited By Windy on 11/09/2018 12:18:21

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)