Faulty Chester WYV H42B6 Champion mill,

Advert

Faulty Chester WYV H42B6 Champion mill,

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Faulty Chester WYV H42B6 Champion mill,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    john fletcher 1
    Participant
      @johnfletcher1

My friend Brian who hasn’t a computer, has a Chester Champion Mill 20V. when recently using the mill it gave a loud bang. He brought the motor round thinking it was the problem, we tested the motor, all OK. So the fault must be with controller, has any one got a circuit diagram for the electronic controller, or knows of where a replacement board can be obtained, any other practical / useful information which might get Brian back on the road. Finally, is it better to cut his losses, fit a 3Ph motor and inverter. John

Advert
      noel shelley
      Participant
        @noelshelley55608

I take it your sure the bang was not mechanical failure ? Just a bang ? Any clues as to what has failed ? Have you seen the circuit board – are there any obvious burnt or shattered bits eg a cooked Mosfet ? As for a new circuit board have you tried Chester ? Noel.

john fletcher 1
        Participant
          @johnfletcher1

Thank for your response Noel. Well Brian says a bang from the control box. I notice the input filter and their caps are notorious when they fail and often give horrible smell, I’ll look there first. I couldn’t see any signs of burning or damaged Mosfets. Have large garden so busy there this time of year. Yes, emailed Chester and so far no response. John

Les Jones 1
          Participant
            @lesjones1

Post some pictures of the control board. (Preferably showing both the component side and the etch side.) Someone may recognise it as being the same as that used in other machines.

Les.

john fletcher 1
            Participant
              @johnfletcher1

Just thought, I’d would let other Chester Champion owners know, for their possible future use, that the fault was one of the Y type capacitors shorted. The filter unit / printed circuit board was in a grey plastic holder, bolted in the bottom of the control box. On the PCB was 3 capacitors, X & two Y type and two inline chokes wound on a common core. Since having a look at other sellers of similar machines the control box looks to be the same unit, so look out for filter faults. Sorry I’m unable to take and send pictures. John

jimmy b
              Participant
                @jimmyb

Only issues I’ve had with my Chester 20 V clone, is the brushes being eaten!

Had aright faf sorting that one!!

JimB

Hugh Stewart-Smith 1
                Participant
                  @hughstewart-smith1

hello John,

As you aren’t able to send photos if you, or your friend Brian, take a look at our Amadeal website, you might find that the circuit boards are the same and if so we would be able to help as we always have them in stock.

Hugh                                                         Amadeal Ltd

john fletcher 1
                  Participant
                    @johnfletcher1

To JimB, if your motor is chewing brushes they are the wrong type, a harder type is needed. Please don’t ask me where you can buy them from any longer, as  those firms have long since disappeared, as have ironmongers. With care your can re shape brushed, but it is often difficult to gain access to the commutator to bed them in, using strip of UPSIDE down glass paper, NOT emery cloth. Also, thanks to Hugh I’ll have a look, fortunately I’ve got Brian back on the road again. John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)