engine throw

Advert

engine throw

Home Forums I/C Engines engine throw

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bricky
    Participant
      @bricky

In a construction article of the engine I am trying to make sebse of before I start building,has a throw of 20mm yet in an image of a jig for offsetting the crank pin it has 1800.I assume that the point has been missed and should resd 18mm.The bore is 18mm and I have read somewhere that the throw and the bore should be the same,if not so i have to decide which measurement is correct.I would appresiate some advice on this as I am trying to make a drawing before I start.

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

Throw or more usually twice the throw which is the stroke and the bore do not have to be the same, higher reving engines may have a stroke shorter than the bore where as something slow like a hit and miss engine tends to have the stroke quite a bit more than the bore.

Same for steam, a high speed marine engine will have a shorter stroke than a slow mill engine if both have the same bore.

bernard towers
        Participant
          @bernardtowers37738

What engine, perhaps someone has a different article.

JasonB
            @jasonb

Bricky, I just looked at the article, I think the jig should say 180deg rather than a measurement.

180deg

It’s the 2 piston / 3 conrod engine from 2018

bricky
            Participant
              @bricky

Thanks Jason that helps a lot.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)