Electromagnetic Properties

Advert

Electromagnetic Properties

Home Forums Clocks and Scientific Instruments Electromagnetic Properties

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

Fellow members of the AHS ‘EHG’ will already be aware of this video, but I thought it worth sharing more widely.

https://youtu.be/0_8_sIEIhs4?feature=shared

Note: it is 42 minutes long, and a straight recording of a Zoom meeting … so is, predictably enough, not slick.

It does however contain enough useful material to inspire further investigation.

Comments from expert metallurgists, et. al. would be welcome.

MichaelG.

P.S. __ a Google search for ‘swedish soft iron’ is a good first step.

Advert
      Anonymous

I suppose I ought to watch the whole video, but gave up when he said B equals H. They are not the same thing. The unit H is the magnetic field strength in amps per metre, the unit B is the magnetic flux density in teslas. They are proportional in a non-magnetic medium like air. But as soon as a ferromagnetic material is introduced the relationship becomes non-linear and complex, in a mathematical sense, ie, complex numbers.

He is right that pure iron has a higher permeability than carbon steel. If I recall my lectures the problem with carbon steel is not the carbon per se, although it is diamagnetic, but when the carbon precipitates out in the form of carbides.

As hinted at by MG there are specific steels intended for magnetic applications, known as electrical steels. In simple terms the carbon is replaced by a few percent of silicon. Permeability is almost as good as pure iron, BH characteristics can be tailored and it has a much higher electrical resistance than iron. This reduces losses due to eddy currents.

Andrew

Brian Wood
        Participant
          @brianwood45127

Just to add to Andrew’s notes above, transformer cores are made from these silicon steels. They do not have the magnetic retention of carbon steels, which makes them suitable for the rapidly changing magnetic fields within a transformer core.

Brian

John Haine
          Participant
            @johnhaine32865

I think the motivation for this work was the poor performance of a Eureka clock reproduction using mild steel cores.  Having looked at the work and the Eureka design I actually think the problem is poor magnetic design of the Eureka which makes it susceptible to lower permeability.

Anonymous

I’ve just skimmed the rest of the video. Some interesting experimental results, but quite a lot of confusion about material properties and composition, as well as magnetics.

I am not familiar with the Eureka design but I assume it uses solenoids, in which case JohnH may well be right. Solenoid design is not simple and is extremely sensitive to tiny gaps (even a couple of thou) in the magnetic circuit.

Andrew

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks for having another look, Andrew … I value your opinion

The main reason I posted the link here is that the speaker is obviously [in the true sense of the word] an Amateur, and is conducting a reasonably well considered set of practical experiments … which some here might like to develop and pursue further.

MichaelG.

david bennett 8
                Participant
                  @davidbennett8

Just a thought (of no use in making a pure replica Eureka clock)

If the object is just to keep a heavy balance oscillating, would a powered,  switched, un-cored coil and a neodynium magnet be enough?

dave8

John Haine
                  Participant
                    @johnhaine32865

https://groups.io/g/Horological-Science-Newsletter/message/548 – Brian Mumford suggested something similar.

Andrew’s point on air gaps is well made, there are several joints in the magnetic circuit which could add to the reluctance.

david bennett 8
                    Participant
                      @davidbennett8

John, thanks for pointing out that discussion.

dave8

Russell Eberhardt
                      Participant
                        @russelleberhardt48058

Just a thought; why concentrate on iron?  Ferrite materials are available in both soft and hard grades, the soft grades having low remanance. Worth trying the ferrite rods used as antennas in old radios?

Russell

david bennett 8
                        Participant
                          @davidbennett8
                          John Haine
                          Participant
                            @johnhaine32865

The Eureka magnet which forms the “spokes” of the balance wheel is actually not just a plain rod core with a coil, it’s an E-shape with a bar each side, magnetically joined at one end, and the air gap that interacts with the stator at the other.  It seems to be possible to buy soft iron rod but flat strip as would be needed for the “arms” doesn’t seem to be around.

Anonymous

These people offer E-I laminations in stock sizes, although of course that is not the same as actually being able to order in small quantities:

https://ascocomponents.co.uk/laminations/ei-laminations/

Andrew

david bennett 8
                              Participant
                                @davidbennett8
                                John Haine
                                Participant
                                  @johnhaine32865

eureka_rotor

Just for context here is the rotor drawing from the 1949 ME series of constructional articles by Artificer.  The central core rod is 5/16″ dia. and the side plates 3/32 x 7/16″, length about 3.75″.  The lower end as shown in the dwg is magnetically “hot” and interacts with the stator.  Coil is on a former around the central rod. There are clamped joints in the magnetic circuit at the top between two iron clamp blocks, the central core, and the side plates.  Clearly the overall core shape is quite unlike a transformer E core.

duncan webster 1
                                  Participant
                                    @duncanwebster1

Rather than the design shown by JH, could the side pieces be omitted and a second fixed pole diametrically opposite the existing one be provided. These 2 poles should be magnetically connected. There would then be much less sideload on the balance wheel.

The modern way to do it would be to have the coil on the stationary bit, save having flex wires to the balance wheel.

John Haine
                                    Participant
                                      @johnhaine32865

To be clear, there are no flex wires, there’s a crude commutator.  There are many ways the clock could be improved, frankly I think the original design is bonkers!  The problem seems to be that people have made new ones from designs like the ME one and find that it’s hard to make them work.

Michael Gilligan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelgilligan61133

With the greatest respect to John Haine … I am a little concerned by the specific reference to the ME constructional series by ‘Artificer’

The Eureka clock was [also ?] a commercial product, and I had presumed that was the version mentioned by our antipodean friends.

MichaelG.

Ref: __ https://www.bmumford.com/clocks/eureka/

… much more here: https://clockdoc.org/Default.aspx?aid=12292

Michael Gilligan
                                        Participant
                                          @michaelgilligan61133

For what it’s worth … I believe this Canadian patent to be the original 1906 version of the design by Timothy Bernard Powers

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=pn%3DCA100982A

[ downloadable from that page, but it’s 11MB ]

MichaelG.

duncan webster 1
                                          Participant
                                            @duncanwebster1

In the first few minutes of the AHS video the presenter refers to ‘copies of the Eureka clock’, which makes JH’s supposition entirely reasonable.

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133

I wouldn’t dispute that, Duncan

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                                              Participant
                                                @michaelgilligan61133

It doesn’t add anything to the present discussion, but here’s a nice animation of the Eureka

http://wp.clockdoc.org/wp-content/uploads/Eureka.mp4

MichaelG.

david bennett 8
                                                Participant
                                                  @davidbennett8

Does anyone know the approximate weight of the balance/coil assembly and the recommended oil for the bearings?

dave8

John Haine
                                                  Participant
                                                    @johnhaine32865

The clockdoc link above has design details from which the weight could be calculated if it’s relevant.   Other docs there may give oil details.

Michael Gilligan
                                                    Participant
                                                      @michaelgilligan61133
                                                      On Michael Gilligan Said:

I wouldn’t dispute that, Duncan

Just to elaborate, Duncan … the fact that a supposition is ‘entirely reasonable’ does not guarantee that it is accurate.

It is also reasonable to suppose that some copies might not be based upon the series by ‘Artificer’

It is quite clear from the text of the articles, that some aspects of the design were necessarily ‘re-imagined’ and that some of the detailing was considered optional.

The text on Page 389 is especially pertinent to the present Topic.

MichaelG.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)