E5 Petrol [please discuss]

Advert

E5 Petrol [please discuss]

Home Forums The Tea Room E5 Petrol [please discuss]

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

In case anyone is interested …

I bought the Suzuki on 21-August, and Yes RON 95 Petrol is specified.

The instruments predicted a remaining Range of 25 miles, so I added £40 of BP regular unleaded E10 and drove it home from Sheffield to North Wales, and have since driven it on local trips … everything seems fine, given that it is a 10year old 4×4 with a 4-cylinder engine.

Yesterday, the Low-Fuel warning ‘chimed’ at me, so I diverted to the Tesco garage and added £50 of Momentum E5

Today … the improvement is obvious

1. Idling at the traffic-lights is almost silent
      2. Pick-up from idle is smoother
      3. The gear-change is smoother
      4. [it’s too soon to tell, but] the mpg is looking better

These are similar to the improvements I found on the BMW, and l think it supports what I said earlier about properly implemented VVT … the engines will ‘cope-with’ low grade fuel, but are capable of getting the best out of the good stuff.

So far, I’m a Happy Bunny

Time will tell whether E5 remains available/affordable

MichaelG.

Advert
      Vic
      Participant
        @vic

If this happens I’ll have to think about going back to E10.

IMG_1946

Nick Wheeler
        Participant
          @nickwheeler

A 1.8 GDI Mitsubishi Galant is the only car I’ve owned that ever showed a barely noticeable difference when using 98Ron petrol instead of 95. The small increase in fuel economy didn’t make up for the extra cost, and the tiny improvement in power only showed when I tried using it like the 525BMW(3 occupants, loaded with stuff and booze at 100mph on the autoroute) that preceded it. Even then, lowering my expectations was the short term solution until I replaced it with a more suitable V6 Omega. All three cars were estates, and you can get a lot of stuff in a Galant or Omega.

The 1500 Avenger(single carb, 3 speed auto, very slow) I also owned at the time would run just as well on a 70/30 petrol diesel mix from draining misfueled diesels, although it did smoke a bit more…

Viewing 3 posts - 51 through 53 (of 53 total)