Duracell Optimum Batteries with Corrosion?

Advert

Duracell Optimum Batteries with Corrosion?

Home Forums The Tea Room Duracell Optimum Batteries with Corrosion?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alistair Robertson 1
    Participant
      @alistairrobertson1

I bought a pack of four AAA size Duracell Optimum Batteries from my Morrisons Supermarket when we were doing the weekly shop. I had a standby Phillips razor that is handy for the holidays and thought these supposedly longer life batteries might be a good idea.

When I eventually got around to installing the batteries I opened the well sealed packet to find that the “Negative End” of three of them were very corroded, in fact the end of one had disappeared completely.

I contacted Duracell on their website as I thought they should be informed but I was informed that it was the supermarket I should contact.  I went to the customer services at Morrisons where they offered to replace them but all the Optimum AAA batteries they had in stock that they opened seemed to be the same. They refunded my money and suggested I try another retailer!

Has anyone else had similar problems before I try and get more supplies?

Advert
      Clive Brown 1
      Participant
        @clivebrown1

A couple of years or so ago I saw comments  on the web, from users, that Duracell batteries were suffering from leakage problems. I’ve avoided them since. I geneally buy “Energiser”, with which I’ve had no problems.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

I started experiencing corrosion problems with Duracell AAs in the late 1970s and have never purchased them since.

Shortly before that, they were excellent.

… I never bothered to research ‘why’ …

MichaelG.

John Haine
          Participant
            @johnhaine32865

Look at Which to see best value for batteries.  I tend to get AA/AAA cells from Aldi or Lidl and haven’t have any problems.

OTOH I bought a blister pack of CR2032s from an engineering supplier, also some LR66 for calipers etc, and several were very corroded.

bernard towers
            Participant
              @bernardtowers37738

I wouild imagine it possibly comes from bad storage, things like large fluctuations in temperature in a short time could introduce moisture to start the process off.

Robert Atkinson 2
              Participant
                @robertatkinson2

The OP’s issue sounds like bad storage of containation during packaging.
                On alkaline cells (batteries are a collection of cells connected together) generally the reason for the leakage issues are now understood and generally sorted. It is to do with environmental protection. Specfically the removal of mercury (Hg) from cells is the root cause. The Hg content of cells allowed re-combination of small amounts of Hydrogen that are generated when the cell is in storage. It’s n clear if this was intentional or not. When laws required the removal of Hg the problems started to show. The H2 build-up rupture the seals and electrolyte leaks out causing the damage. Cells that are over about 25 years old are likely to be fine. Ones 10 to 20 years old have probably already leaked. More recent changes to the detailed chemistry and cell construction seems to have fixed the issue. Recent branded alkaline cells claim a 10 year shelf life.

Robert.

Grizzly bear
                Participant
                  @grizzlybear

Hi,

I stopped using Duracell AAA & AA three years ago, due to leakage.

Duracell Batteries Leak In Normal Use, Class Action Claims – Top Class Actions (Meant to be a link).

Bear….

Duracell Batteries Leak In Normal Use, Class Action Claims – Top Class Actions

Robert Atkinson 2
                  Participant
                    @robertatkinson2

Bear,

Link didn’t appear. However the lawsuits were about 10 years ago and were dismissed by the court in the USA.

Robert.

roy entwistle
                    Participant
                      @royentwistle24699

Years ago I was told that there were more fake Duracells than any other battery

Bo’sun
                      Participant
                        @bosun58570

Read the same WHICH report that John Haine refers too.  Yes, the Lidl & Aldi batteries don’t last quite as long as Duracell, but the cost over time can be worth the effort of changing batteries more often, if you don’t mind the inconvenience of course.  Been using said batteries for several years now without concern.  However, like other batteries, they can deteriorate if left unused in a gadget over time.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)