Drawing Projections

Advert

Drawing Projections

Home Forums Beginners questions Drawing Projections

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    Paul Jarvis 2
    Participant
      @pauljarvis2

The trapezoid shape is representative of a frustrum of a cone and is the side elevation or main view of the drawing

The rule I was taught when in the drawing office is very simple,

For first angle projection view the side elevation from the right hand side and draw the resulting end view on the left hand side of the side elevation( i.e view through the object)

For third angle projection view the side elevation from the right hand side as before and draw the resulting end view on the right hand side of the side elevation.

The same rule applies for the plan view.

Paul

Advert
      Brian H
      Participant
        @brianh50089

Quote; "W J Hall

9 forum posts

As someone who was at school before metric became standard I have never really mastered cms, despite doing O-Level early enough to encounter CGS

I'm glad it's not just me, I don't understand cms either and I have to convert them to mm 's before they make any sense.

SillyOldDuffer
          @sillyoldduffer

Only dressmakers use centimetres, bless 'em!

Jeff Dayman
          Participant
            @jeffdayman43397

Duffer – Not just dressmakers, respiratory therapy people too – I recently had some tests done and the pressure in the therapy was expressed as "centimetres of water column" in a manometer. JD

V8Eng
            Participant
              @v8eng
              Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 05/11/2016 18:41:54:

Furniture Stores use centimetres.

I have then to convert them to imperial measurements for the wife who does not do metric!

Edited By V8Eng on 05/11/2016 18:53:43

Neil Wyatt
                @neilwyatt
                Posted by V8Eng on 05/11/2016 18:49:22:

Furniture Stores use centimetres.

I have then to convert them to imperial measurements for the wife who does not do metric!

Edited By V8Eng on 05/11/2016 18:53:43

My stepson is a kitchen fitter. Oh how we have laughed when his insistence on millimetres collides with my DIY centimetres…

Neil

V8Eng
                Participant
                  @v8eng

A Model Engineer using centimetres?crying

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

To my surprise … That lovely Swiss pantograph that I'm tinkering with is calibrated in centimetres.

MichaelG.

img_0069.jpg

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 05/11/2016 19:24:23

Ajohnw
                    Participant
                      @ajohnw51620

Many areas in Europe use cm's and other divisions and take no notice what so ever of what ISO say. There reason is simple – how for instance can something be about 150mm long as mm are rather small. About 15 cms makes more sense but some might say about 1 1/2 what ever the 10cm unit is – I can't remember. Prior to ISO's stupidity I would have had no problem remembering what they were at all. ccs went the same way but are still widely used.

John

TSH
                      Participant
                        @tsh73987

> It took me a while to work out that it was graduated in Decimetres, the only example that I have uncounted of this multiplier being used.

Quite so. But for further examples of the use of multipliers which are not powers of 1000, look no further than meteorology. I expect most of us are used to the millibar, but this is now a deprecated term and the replacement is exactly the same size, but with a brief nod to the SI unit of pressure (the pascal). It is the hectopascal (hPa). This has even infiltrated into aviation where one might hear on the radio that the QNH is 990 hectopascals. (QNH is a shortform code for the pressure at sea-level).

As if that weren't enough, a chart of the upper air will have height contours labelled in decametres (abbreviation: dam).

Here's a chart with both together!

forecast chart.jpg

Trevor

PS In case you are wondering what 'Thickness' means: in this case it is the 1000-500 hPa thickness which is the vertical distance between where the pressure is 1000 hPa and where it is 500 hPa. It represents an average temperature in that layer of the atmosphere.

Ajohnw
                        Participant
                          @ajohnw51620

I'll always remember the apologetic mention of sorry folk we now have to talk tonnes per m^2 and can't use tonnes per cm^2 any more. Frown – ISO say so.

The problem is down to visualisation again. Easy to look at sensible things and thing tons per inch^2. Not too bad to think in terms of tonnes per cm^2 but 1m^2 is just too big, May as well use hectares or square kilometers.

Doesn't matter didley squat when calculations are done but does when it comes down to rough visualisations.

John

SillyOldDuffer
                            @sillyoldduffer

OK, I was completely wrong about only dressmakers using centimetres.

Everyone knows that dressmakers use inches. Of which there are 30 to the metre:

dsc03713.jpg

Dave

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133

Where did you get the tape, Dave?

… Slimmers' World ?

MichaelG.

SillyOldDuffer
                                @sillyoldduffer
                                Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/11/2016 21:16:49:

Where did you get the tape, Dave?

… Slimmers' World ?

MichaelG.

Busted again!

Ian Abbott
                                Participant
                                  @ianabbott31222

I still refuse to believe that one-thousand-four-hundred-and-thirty-five-point-one millimetres is easier than four foot eight and a half. And a one-thousand-two-hundred-and-ninteen-point-two by two-thousand-four-hundred-and-thirty-eight-point-four millimetre sheet of plywood is easier than a four by eight. Especially if you need to cut it into four equal widths of shelving.

And how mad is a fifteen-thousand-two-hundred-and-forty-millimetre long room, rather than a nice even fifty feet. I see this on architectural drawings. Can anyone really visualize fifteen-thousand-two-hundred-and-forty-millimetres. Fifty feet is easy. Sixteen and a half yards / fifteen and a quarter metres even.

And don't get me started on Americans and 'millimeters' et al.

Ian

Michael Gilligan
                                  Participant
                                    @michaelgilligan61133

Off-topic, I know … but here is an interesting tape measure: **LINK**

http://www.pitape.co.uk/aboutus.asp

MichaelG.

Ajohnw
                                    Participant
                                      @ajohnw51620

The answer to about 666mm problem is to always follow it with a tolerance. About 67cm isn't much better.About 6 1/2 of the units I can't remember is probably the best one. I chose 666 as it's the number of the devil. It's also about 2ft.

John

Sam Longley 1
                                      Participant
                                        @samlongley1
                                        Posted by Ian Abbott on 05/11/2016 22:25:13:

I still refuse to believe that one-thousand-four-hundred-and-thirty-five-point-one millimetres is easier than four foot eight and a half. And a one-thousand-two-hundred-and-ninteen-point-two by two-thousand-four-hundred-and-thirty-eight-point-four millimetre sheet of plywood is easier than a four by eight. Especially if you need to cut it into four equal widths of shelving.

And how mad is a fifteen-thousand-two-hundred-and-forty-millimetre long room, rather than a nice even fifty feet. I see this on architectural drawings. Can anyone really visualize fifteen-thousand-two-hundred-and-forty-millimetres. Fifty feet is easy. Sixteen and a half yards / fifteen and a quarter metres even.

And don't get me started on Americans and 'millimeters' et al.

Ian

You would not, you would use millimetres & metres,( which are the correct units to use in the building industry,) hence for the last one you would say 15.24 metres

As for your sheet of ply you will notice that it is not 3/4" thick etc it is 18mm etc

I would further suggest that you try working out the area of 4 ft 12 15/32" multiplied by 2 ft 6 3/16"

Then perhaps you might welcome the introduction of the metric unit.

Fortunately my training started just as metrication in the building industry was introduced because it drove my father mad trying to teach me duo decimals

Chris Evans 6
                                        Participant
                                          @chrisevans6

I am late to this thread re 1st and 3rd angle projection. We had a draughtsman who regularly used both on the same drawing and could not see his errors. We got used to it in the toolroom and didn't bother trying to correct him as there was no hope.

Sam is 4ft 12 15/32" 5ft 15/32" in my book ?

KWIL
                                          Participant
                                            @kwil

Micheal,

I note with interest the Pi Tape is 1/2" wide and 0.25mm thick.

JasonB
                                              @jasonb
                                              Posted by Ajohnw on 05/11/2016 23:17:48:

The answer to about 666mm problem is to always follow it with a tolerance. About 67cm isn't much better.About 6 1/2 of the units I can't remember is probably the best one. I chose 666 as it's the number of the devil. It's also about 2ft.

John

I hope you are not basing your kitchen on 666mm being "about 2ft" you may get away with thinking 600mm is 2ft but 666mm is just over 26"

Enough!
                                              Participant
                                                @enough
                                                Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 06/11/2016 08:32:41:

We had a draughtsman who regularly used both on the same drawing and could not see his errors.

Then he wasn't a draughtsman (though he may have been masquerading as one). No more than a toolroom person who uses his micrometer as a c-clamp can be called a toolmaker (yes, I've seen it and yes it was lightly clamped and quite temporary, but nonetheless ….).

Paul M
                                                Participant
                                                  @paulm98238

I have read through these posts and found them interesting.

I went to secondary school during the 60's and was taught 1st and 3rd angle orthographic projection. We worked primarily in imperial for all our measuring in all subjects. It was not until I was teaching during the 70's that metric was introduced and was taught. The transition was gradual and costly having to convert machines and all measuring equipment. Buying stock was interesting as metal remained in imperial sizes for quite a few years and again was gradually replaced by metric sizes.

I consider myself lucky in that I have no issues working in either metric or imperial apart from refusing to accept a centimetre as a valid way of expressing a measurement. I enjoy the mental mathematics when converting from one to the other. A bit like being married to a French lady – some conversation is in French some in English with the occasional use of a dictionary.

Peter Howell 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @peterhowell1

I agree with PaulM's comments. I must be a similar age to him and have no difficulty with either 1st or 3rd angle (providing you are told what the drawing is in) or metric / imperial. I sometimes use either. If I've measured something and it looks better (more rounded) in inches whereas it would be odd amount in metric I'll use inches. This particularly applies to DIY building jobs where accuracy in not so important so long as it fits.

I also avoid cm, never seen the point of them – they only add to the confusion.

My mantra for 3rd angle was "What you see – Where you see it".

old mart
                                                    Participant
                                                      @oldmart

The drawings we used for Airbus, Westland, BAE usually had the projection symbols on them, but I cannot remember whether they were first or third angle.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 167 total)