Dissasembling m&w micrometer completely – how remove barrel?

Advert

Dissasembling m&w micrometer completely – how remove barrel?

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Dissasembling m&w micrometer completely – how remove barrel?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    theelous3
    Participant
      @theelous3

Hi folks 🙂

I’ve an excess of standard micrometers and I’m going to convert an old moore & wright 965m in to a depth mic.

I’m trying to figure out how to remove the inner barrel. It seems to be made of two parts that were slitting sawed together, and then possibly press fit? I’m not sure if it’s press fit or threaded. I’m thinking some penetrating oil and then give it the gronk, but looking for a more educated answer before I go at it. Pointing at the barrel in the pic 🙂

Cheers.

Untitled

Advert
      Kiwi Bloke
      Participant
        @kiwibloke62605

From what I remember (ever more unreliable…) it unscrews from the frame.

Tony Pratt 1
        Participant
          @tonypratt1

Sorry but I thought these were a press fit??? Long time since I took one apart so safest bet is to hold the barrel in a collet or similar then try to unscrew it which should give you an indication of the assembly method.

Tony

Speedy Builder5
          Participant
            @speedybuilder5

If you are getting rid of the frame, put a light saw cut diagonally through the boss holding the barrel ? I won’t cry when you show us !

Bob

Kiwi Bloke
            Participant
              @kiwibloke62605

On reflection I think Tony Pratt 1 is correct. Perhaps I remember twisting the sleeve out, rather than unscrewing it. Long time ago, got good metrology equipment now…

theelous3
              Participant
                @theelous3

Oh dear. Today’s lesson – it’s one piece with the frame. Completely destroyed!

Time to check the pitch on those threads.

jaCK Hobson
                Participant
                  @jackhobson50760

Sorry I’m late but yes, I too learnt that lesson… that barrel is not designed to be taken out. They are very thin/fragile. I guess they are press fit – not one piece. The design has changed a bit over time around the locking feature.

theelous3
                  Participant
                    @theelous3

Actually, all of the threads survived unwarped and intact. I cut the barrel a few mm before the internal thread start. I’ll be able to make use of it just fine. Googlers beware though!

theelous3
                    Participant
                      @theelous3

It’s almost certainly one piece. I cross sawed two cuts to remove a chunk and relieve any chance of a press fit – there is no visible change or interruption in the steel throughout the cut, and on removing a chunk, nothing comes away.

If it’s a press fit, it’s either insanely tight or this mic has somehow welded itself so completely with age it’s impossible to tell. It was in poor condition when I got it (for free thankfully) so I suppose it’s possible.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)