Digital subscription query

Advert

Digital subscription query

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Digital subscription query

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Gude
    Participant
      @thomasgude37285

Hello,

I bought this month's MEW as I scanned the contents in the shop there were a few articles that took my interest: Myford metric thread cutting, building an injection moulding machine & setting up a new workshop.

Unfortunately two of these were part 2 or 3 of the series of articles. I often find that articles that are spread into different parts do not follow consecutively in magazines, I guess either to be more varied or because the correspondent writes them as and when they undertake the project.

My question is – If I have a digital subscription is there an easy way to access and find series of articles of a certain subject? Or do I have to trawl through the back issues and buy the specific one? If this is the case do I need a subscription at all?

Also is there any way of knowing how many parts a certain article is going to last?

Cheers

Advert
      Thomas Gude
      Participant
        @thomasgude37285

accessing all parts of an article

JasonB
          @jasonb

If you buy a digital or Paper Plus subscription to MEW via Myhobbystore (not via news stand) then you will get online access to all back issues of MEW while your subscription is active. Though there is no easy way to sort through recent ones you can use the various online archives to find out what issues a series ran in during the period the indexes cover.

No easy way to tell when any current series will end.

J

Edited By JasonB on 17/03/2014 16:08:30

Steambuff
          Participant
            @steambuff

In ME (under the title of the article in the magazine – not in contents) it tells you that the article is continued from page xxx of issue xxx volume xxx ….. I assume MEW is the same.

Dave

Neil Wyatt
              @neilwyatt

In MEW we do our best to run series concurrently, there is an index published every twelve issues and the next issue will have the index for issues 201 to 212 in it.

All three of the articles you mention have been published 'end to end'.

Traditionally ME published articles every other issue for many years. David Clark phased this out, but Diane is reintroducing it. The argument is that it allows greater variety of content in a fortnightly magazine (and lets long series writers have a chance to keep up!)

There are various indexes for each magazine available on line or on CD, with different pros and cons, that you might use. Also, if you get really stuck either ask on here or if you get really stuck email me at neil.wyatt@mytimedia.com (within reason!)

Neil

Thomas Gude
              Participant
                @thomasgude37285

My mistake, I must have not checked the contents thoroughly enough. I think the hobby store on-line subscription is best for me to get the most out of the mags.

Cheers

Frances IoM
                Participant
                  @francesiom58905

Having just received my sub renewal notice (3 mags in advance) but as all my machines bar a couple of old win98 boxes are Linux (Debian or Mint) – I have no interest in opening up to Microsoft or entering the Apple walled garden – maybe other Linux users could answer if
                  (a) archived issues are readable
                  (b) current issues may be read

David Clark 13
                  Participant
                    @davidclark13

Hi Neil I started publishing every issue as many readers like to have the whole series in hand before starting a project. Also every issue publishing encourages people to buy every issue of a series and the chances are they will start reading another series before the first one ends and continue to buy it regularly.

It also encourages readers to subscribe if they know there will be a continuing series of interest.

Neil Wyatt
                      @neilwyatt

Hello Frances,

The digital 'PC' offline subscription reader is Windows based http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=1031

You can read issues covered by your subscription online with pocketmags but unless you have one of the platforms HERE you won't be able to use an offline reader.

Anything with a reasonably up to date web browser can access the online archive. Older online archive issues have been scanned from paper issues so aren't as good as more recent issues created from PDF, but in my opinion they are all perfectly readable.

Here's a screenshot of ia page from Issue one, from the archive. I have cropped it to 1024 pixels wide so that if you right click it and choose 'view image' and you should see it at the same resolution as it will display when you zoom into the page on the archive viewer.

Neil

screenshot.jpg

Frances IoM
                      Participant
                        @francesiom58905

Neil
                        just to confirm all archived issues are in pdf format ? and are readable with a standard pdf reader as found on all linux machines and not that abomination of a flash module issued by Adobe whose sole function is to allow virus infestation of pcs running Microsoft

I understand the need both to include DRM (Digital Rights Mechanism) on the current issue but is that removed once the mag is archived ? (I have no real interest in buying a tablet as Mac and Android are increasing very privacy intrusive – I know that some view Google as ‘do no evil’ but my view is near 180deg out with this (as it appears is the EU’s)

Steambuff
                        Participant
                          @steambuff

NO … The magazine archive accessed via the "magazines" tab are NOT PDF's and can't be read by a pdf reader, nor can they be downloaded. These are ALL the issues from 2002 onwards.

They need a web browser to read them i.e Internet explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc. I'm not sure if there is a sample anywhere.

A few of the very old issues/articles have been scanned and these are available as pdf's.

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 15/09/2015 18:30:32

Frances IoM
                          Participant
                            @francesiom58905

I know there are several Linux users around – do none of these have a digital sub – are the copies Flash based or HTML5 ?

Neil Wyatt
                              @neilwyatt
                              Posted by Frances IoM on 15/09/2015 18:52:27:
                              I know there are several Linux users around – do none of these have a digital sub – are the copies Flash based or HTML5 ?

It's Java based, not flash. It is basically just an online image viewer with an index facility.

Neil

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)