Digital Downloads

Advert

Digital Downloads

Home Forums The Tea Room Digital Downloads

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

I ordered some plans online nearly ten hours ago, expecting to be able to download them shortly after, like software etc I’ve bought before online.  I’ve had no notification but checking my order online it’s still saying “Awaiting Processing”, what a joke.

Advert
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

I would have thought somethings going round on a circle, I would cancel and then reorder.

David Jupp
        Participant
          @davidjupp51506

Not all on-line ordering systems are automated.  It could simply be a matter of waiting a while, especially if the human in the process is not currently at work.

Vic
          Participant
            @vic
            On David Jupp Said:

Not all on-line ordering systems are automated.  It could simply be a matter of waiting a while, especially if the human in the process is not currently at work.

I’m guessing that must be the case. What a poor way to run a business. I’ve emailed and texted now but still no response.

Even when I’m on holiday I still receive emails on my phone even if I don’t read them.
            Still, I’m sure they’re getting interest on my payment.

Edit: Finally got an email. The owner is on holiday for the next three weeks! What a terrible way to run a business. I could almost understand if it was a physical item that needed to be shipped but not a digital download.

Edit2: Apparently the drawings are in PDF format and only the owner can send them …

JasonB
              @jasonb

I’ve ordered plans in the past from what is no more than an individual. I expect they also have to sleep as well as have some time to themselves, do/did you work 24hrs a day 7 days a week?

Your plans would also probably cost more if they had the added overhead of a fully automated website. Or they may simply decide it is not worth the bother for the small amount of income generated and stop suppling.

SillyOldDuffer
                @sillyoldduffer

I remember the good old days when plans were ordered by first sending a Stamp Addressed Envelope to the advertiser, who eventually posted it back containing a copy of his catalogue.    Then the I was able to order the item, and because at the time I didn’t have a bank account, that meant a walk in the rain to buy a Postal Order.  Many opportunities for delay in this system.  The customer was obliged to fill out an order form, and often got it wrong.  One very common mistake was customers omitting their address,  an error that could only be put right by them.  Or messing up the cheque.

The Terms and Conditions were the icing on the cake:  Allow 28 days for Delivery.  And always possible that a letter would arrive after the order was placed saying ‘temporarily out of stock, delivery in ‘n’ months‘.

Today we expect instant gratification because modern supply systems are super efficient.   Not always though!  For example, maintaining a consistently fast service is impossible when a small business depends on one or two people.  They can only deliver when physically able, so anything going wrong is liable to cause a brown-out.    In this case, Vic’s life has been ruined by a chap going on holiday!

🙂

Dave

Vic
                Participant
                  @vic

I suppose we assume in the UK that people in other places know how to use computers and the internet. I find it incredulous the vendor doesn’t know at least one other person that has the PDF on their device that they could forward to me.

JasonB
                    @jasonb

Might be they know too well how to use computers and may have a way of encripting pdfs so that they can only be opened by the person paying for them. Stops bootleg copies being shared around.

Data protection also comes into it as he would need to give that other person your details and you would get that Persons email as they send it to you.

Plus it’s not much of a holiday if he has to spend it running around doing things related to the business.

I wonder what would happen to the forum if I took 3 weeks off from moderating 👿

Vic
                    Participant
                      @vic

The vendor obviously has a device and internet access as he’s sent me a couple of emails already. Even if it’s only a phone he could easily have sent me the plans if he’d had the file on it.
                      I always take my mobile on holiday and whilst I don’t worry too much about emails I do at least take a quick look at my inbox every day in case there’s anything urgent in there. I’m guessing you don’t take your phone or perhaps turn it off and thats your choice. I suggest not something someone running a business should do though.

JasonB
                        @jasonb

Have you ever been self employed Vic? I have for 30 years.

I don’t have all my business records on my phone. Nor can I open up my CAD package to check a query on a drawing or send one out. I pick up emails both private and related to business and act as I see fit be that going out to site on Christmas day which I have doen when a good regular client has an issue to not replying until Monday if it is just something non critical that comes in over the weekend.

Another part of running a business is thinking ahead and ordering in materials etc well in time for when I need them!

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133

It’s clear that  you are deeply offended by this standard of service, Vic, but I am finding it difficult to empathise … simply because I do not know what you are buying, at what cost, or from whom.

I await the denouement with mild academic interest.

MichaelG.

V8Eng
                          Participant
                            @v8eng

I have seen a number of small suppplier’s websites with a we are away for x weeks and orders will be fulfilled on our return type message.

perhaps that might be what was actually required it could even be achieved by an out of office type auto reply to placate irate customers.

Vic
                            Participant
                              @vic
                              On JasonB Said:

I don’t have all my business records on my phone. Nor can I open up my CAD package to check a query on a drawing or send one out. I pick up emails both private and related to business and act as I see fit be that going out to site on Christmas day which I have doen when a good regular client has an issue to not replying until Monday if it is just something non critical that comes in over the weekend.

Another part of running a business is thinking ahead and ordering in materials etc well in time for when I need them!

I’m not asking for any of that as you’re well aware. I just wanted the PDF file sent to me that I’ve paid for.

Vic
                              Participant
                                @vic
                                On Michael Gilligan Said:

It’s clear that  you are deeply offended by this standard of service, Vic, but I am finding it difficult to empathise … simply because I do not know what you are buying, at what cost, or from whom.

I await the denouement with mild academic interest.

MichaelG.

I ordered the “Digital Download” of the Acute Sharpening System.

I admit the joke really is on me. I didn’t actually need the plans as I’d managed to work out the size and arrangement of the vast majority of the parts from online build logs and videos. I just thought it would be nice to have a copy for future reverence.

Vic
                                Participant
                                  @vic

I’ve got this far without the plans. It has thicker brackets and the bottom ones are 10mm longer for added stability. The top is also thicker than specified.

I don’t need the plans to complete my version of the system.

IMG_9230

SillyOldDuffer
                                    @sillyoldduffer
                                    On Vic Said:
                                    On JasonB Said:

I’m not asking for any of that as you’re well aware. I just wanted the PDF file sent to me that I’ve paid for.

Not as I read your whinge Vic!   I thought you were demanding top-priority treatment in which the supplier overrides all other considerations to achieve delivery.   Is that an expectation, or did you pay for that level of service?  My guess is some inexpensive plans have been ordered, and the seller never promised to despatch them immediately.   What do his Terms and Conditions say?

No doubt the plans will arrive in due course.   This sort of thing is a judgment call though. Though I’m inclined to give a small business the benefit of the doubt, I’ve walked out of a few restaurants after deciding the wait after ordering had become unreasonable.

Dave

JasonB
                                      @jasonb

Nuff Said

ecc

Vic
                                      Participant
                                        @vic
                                        On SillyOldDuffer Said:
                                        On Vic Said:
                                        On JasonB Said:

Not as I read your whinge Vic!   I thought you were demanding top-priority treatment in which the supplier overrides all other considerations to achieve delivery.   Is that an expectation, or did you pay for that level of service?  My guess is some inexpensive plans have been ordered, and the seller never promised to despatch them immediately.   What do his Terms and Conditions say?

No doubt the plans will arrive in due course.   This sort of thing is a judgment call though. Though I’m inclined to give a small business the benefit of the doubt, I’ve walked out of a few restaurants after deciding the wait after ordering had become unreasonable.

Dave

Have you actually read any of this post? It was described as a “Digital Download”. All it requires is an email with an attachment!

Vic
                                        Participant
                                          @vic
                                          On JasonB Said:

Nuff Said

ecc

Do you understand the word “Shipped”. No shipping is required, just an email with an attachment that could be sent from anywhere in the world from a mobile phone.

I do understand that you’re obviously trying to protect an advertiser from criticism but that last comment is just silly Jason, surely even you can see the difference.

JasonB
                                            @jasonb

I had the same attitude before you said who it was.

Shipped is a broad term that can cover most things being sent out, processed/dealt with and I don’t expect many come by boat.

I think from other members comments as well as mine you are being the silly one.

SillyOldDuffer
                                              @sillyoldduffer
                                              On Vic Said:
                                              On SillyOldDuffer Said:
                                              On Vic Said:
                                              On JasonB Said:

Dave

Have you actually read any of this post? It was described as a “Digital Download”. All it requires is an email with an attachment!

I have indeed read it.

With respect, ‘All it requires is an email with an attachment’, is a Vic misunderstanding.   Despatch by email is one of the later steps in a business process that takes orders, processes payment,  organises shipping, and then goes on to meet other accounting requirements such as paying tax.  Orders are queuing at the moment because the chap who does all this is on holiday, and his website makes that clear.

Good example of why it’s best to avoid going to law with this type of complaint.   Although Vic is convinced he’s in the right, at least two members of the forum jury disagree.  If a court disagreed with Vic he could be landed with paying all the legal costs, which would really hurt.    We live in an imperfect world.

Dave

Vic
                                              Participant
                                                @vic

“at least two members of the forum jury disagree”

Both of them moderators protecting an advertiser from criticism?

Case closed. I asked for a refund and it’s been swiftly provided.

JasonB
                                                  @jasonb

So not ony did you not read my post above or the small print on their website but you can’t have read the mags recently. As far as I can see Eccentric have not had an advert since at least the beginning of this year and Not one on the website since the change over.

You also need to bear in mind that both myself and Dave are members first, we have no finantial interest in what the averts are.

Had you said in your opening post that you had not got anything after 10hrs and that the site had said ALL orders won’t get shipped I expect most would have said wait.

V8Eng
                                                  Participant
                                                    @v8eng

In my opinion that company appears to have treated you very well and all credit to them.

Had the wording of the advert been shown before my previous post my comment might well have been very similar to:- well they did warn you about placing orders during that period.

David Jupp
                                                    Participant
                                                      @davidjupp51506

If a company predominantly supplies physical product, then it probably isn’t good value for them to spend money establishing an automated digital delivery system for the occasional item.  So those orders go through the same process (and potentially queues) as all other orders.

On the other hand a company selling software will usually have some kind of digital delivery system (often automated or at least partly so).

I do some work with an American software provider – sales in the US via their web shop do have automated delivery (usually within minutes), sales involving an invoice generated by the sales office staff include a manual ‘close out’ step (so that only happens during business hours).  I see complaints from customers after as little as a few minutes from payment – and it’s fairly common at weekends or overnight to see complaints that ‘licence key hasn’t arrived’ and assuming they are the victim of a scam.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)