Digital copies of MEW on disc

Advert

Digital copies of MEW on disc

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines Digital copies of MEW on disc

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Journeyman
    Participant
      @journeyman

Perhaps a DVD could be in a slightly different format say large multi-issue projects, the Stepperhead Lathe springs to mind on one dvd. Possibly 10 best QCTP to make or all of the one man and his lathe articles. A selection of bench tools or a collection of lathe projects. Electronics in the workshop or a gathering of all the CNC articles.

Might be more interesting/saleable than just a rehash of isuue 1 to 20; 21 to 30 etc. Of course it probably entails a good deal more work for someone! How many issues fit on one DVD?

John

Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

We could put the lot on a single DVD.

Would people be prepared to pay around £50 if it was nicely presented (proper case, colour inserts and cellophane wrap), and included some sort of index?

Neil

mick70
        Participant
          @mick70
          Posted by Journeyman on 23/10/2016 15:34:15:

Perhaps a DVD could be in a slightly different format say large multi-issue projects, the Stepperhead Lathe springs to mind on one dvd. Possibly 10 best QCTP to make or all of the one man and his lathe articles. A selection of bench tools or a collection of lathe projects. Electronics in the workshop or a gathering of all the CNC articles.

Might be more interesting/saleable than just a rehash of isuue 1 to 20; 21 to 30 etc. Of course it probably entails a good deal more work for someone! How many issues fit on one DVD?

John

i do like that idea easier to look for certain bits,

Journeyman
          Participant
            @journeyman

The inclusion of a searchable index that took you straight to the article would certainly make the product more attractive. Not quite sure about the £50 but they would make nice Christmas gifts, maybe next yearsmiley

Circlip
            Participant
              @circlip
              Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/10/2016 13:42:29:

Posted by Circlip on 23/10/2016 12:04:00:

Think about it, a subscription has to be renewed, a disk costs a one off. Which way is an accountant going to jump.disgust

Yet no doubt folks will want to pay a similar amount for both… don't undermine my case for MTM producing a DVD…

Neil

Pity there isn't an effective "Search" Neil MBAS were offered FREE assistance yonks ago with this and scanning. I reiterate, which way will an accountant jump????

Regards Ian.

mark61
              Participant
                @mark61

If I were an accountant I would prefer 1000 sales at £20 as opposed to 100 at £50, be careful you don't make many potential customers think twice, particularly those who might already own hard copies.

Mark.

JasonB
                  @jasonb

It's interesting that the German Maschines im Modellbau (equivalent to ME) who always used to do a DVD of each years mags has now stopped doing that and you can now only get it digitally. These where properly boxed and sleeved DVD and quality was a lot better than many of the old MEWs that are available online in the archive

Sorry Neil, looks like the cat is on scraps for dinnersad

Neil Bradshaw
                  Participant
                    @neilbradshaw24930

Hi Everybody.Can I just raise one point if it hasnt already been coverd.

DVDs like CDs dont last for ever.

They can get scratched broken or even deteiorate due to UV light.

Can you backup these DVDs or copy them to a backup drive etc.

Leave the backup copy in the workshop the origonal in the house.

Even microsoft sugest one backup of there install discs in case of problems

Cheers

Neil G6UWI

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk

Edited By Neil Bradshaw on 23/10/2016 18:26:34

Circlip
                    Participant
                      @circlip

But don't forget, "Archive quality" discs last longer.

Regards Ian.

Journeyman
                      Participant
                        @journeyman

The (my) ideal would be an online archive as normal web pages with the whole thing accessable to Google and other search engines for indexing. No losses no DVD failure searchable 24/7 and read in a standard web browser on any platform you like, anywhere you want. Just log in to access, better than the peculiar PocetMags thing although the mags are quite readable just not searchable, saveable or particularly printable.

Cheers, John

Enough!
                        Participant
                          @enough
                          Posted by Journeyman on 23/10/2016 10:53:34:

Thanks for the info. Next silly question indecision, how do I download my latest copy of MEW, I can read it OK in the PocketMags reader but can't find a download link/button? Also how am I supposed to see the archives on my PC when I don't use Flash Player. HTML5 is now the preferred option.

John, I hope I didn't misunderstand your previous question. When I said you lose access when your subscription runs out, I was talking specifically about access to the digital copies on the ME website …. which is everything back to issue-1

But if you were talking about access to your subscription copies that you downloaded via PocketMags, you are supposed to retain access to those issues after your subscription expires even if you don't renew it. Personally I wouldn't stake my life on it – I've found PocketMags to be pretty flakey quite often.

Journeyman
                          Participant
                            @journeyman

Bandersnatch, thanks for clearing that up. Yes I,ve only been using PocketMags for a day and I think it's a bit odd, still I will get used to it. Managed to download a copy on my tablet but don't seem to be able to download on the PC which would be more useful as I have a couple of terrabytes of hard drive to fill up!

Cheers, John

Enough!
                            Participant
                              @enough
                              Posted by Neil Wyatt on 23/10/2016 15:48:39:

Would people be prepared to pay around £50 if it was nicely presented (proper case, colour inserts and cellophane wrap), and included some sort of index?

For everything back to Issue-1? For perspective that's about the same (slightly less) than the current 1-year ROW subscription.

Depends how it's presented though. For a DVD (limited lifetime) containing decent quality pdf's of the issues, I'd be prepared to pay that, sure. But if they are encrypted files of so-so quality that I can't back up and that must be viewed from the DVD with a special, user-hostile viewer … then no, I wouldn't.

Roger Provins 2
                              Participant
                                @rogerprovins2

Neil

I would if the DVD contained all issues from number one to the present.

Roger

Enough!
                                Participant
                                  @enough
                                  Posted by Journeyman on 23/10/2016 18:57:44:

Yes I,ve only been using PocketMags for a day and I think it's a bit odd, still I will get used to it. Managed to download a copy on my tablet

I lost all the issues from a previous subscription (they just disappeared) and couldn't re-download them. I had to get the PM tech-support to re-instate them (which they did).

Also, now, when I try to by a single issue of ME I can't use PayPal. It simply fails every time and I have to use a credit card instead. I suspect (but don't know) that they are trying to pass my PM email address to PayPal in the transaction and that email is different from the one PayPal knows so it fails. Other vendors don't do that – they just pass you over to PayPal and let you do a complete login there – including the email that PayPal recognises.

Dullnote
                                  Participant
                                    @dullnote

Hi are you sure about not getting acces to purchased magazines, I think you do through pocket mags, as I have cancelled a garden mag subscription but all my purchased ones are still available.

Don't know what would happen if pocket mags goes down the tubes, might have to think of a back up system

davidk
                                    Participant
                                      @davidk

Neil

If as Roger mentioned, it included all issues from no.1 to the present day, then I think £50 would be a good price. Bearing in mind that would be nearly 250 issues, or just over 20p per issue.

Regards

David

Rod Ashton
                                      Participant
                                        @rodashton53132

Here`s my £50! When is it available?

Martin 100
                                        Participant
                                          @martin100
                                          Posted by Ady1 on 22/10/2016 10:00:52:

Unless something gets done 50 to 100 years of ME from 1898, with about what, 3000 years of human effort within its pages, will be lost in the next 50 years to the ME community.

As old magazines on tatty paper disintegrate and become unusable only a few places will still have access to that unique historical record of ideas and skills

I presume that eventually google books will put it up, as it has with other publications

Someone, I think in the US scanned many years of ME a decade or more ago maybe from the first issues up to the 1950's I can't recall exactly the coverage.. Many sets were distributed originally on CD iirc before activity was shut down with threats of litigation. Copies, possibly only partial, still exist in the darker corners of the web.

Neil Wyatt
                                            @neilwyatt

You should be able to download the pocketmags viewer and your paid-for issues to your computer and be able to view them as long as you like without any further need for Pocketmags to be involved. .I would suggest keeping the install file for the viewer so it's easy to move to your next computer…

Thanks for the feedback on a DVD, I can't make any promises, bit I will raise it.

Neil

Robbo
                                            Participant
                                              @robbo

Neil,

If I were to buy your proposed £50 DVD, can I part-exchange my paper copies from No 1 to date, currently occupying 2 small Ikea cabinets?smile p

John Stevenson 1
                                              Participant
                                                @johnstevenson1

Good God, I'm going to loose a fortune here as I'm currently sitting on over 800 copies of MEW.

Obviously not 1 to 800 as they haven't been printed but duplicates of many of them.

Personally I think it's a bad idea. wink

Dullnote
                                                Participant
                                                  @dullnote

The DVD sounds good, only one problem when I look through the back issues on the site I end up reading all sorts of articals I end up forgetting what I started to look for, complete series I could be lost for days

Dullnote
                                                  Participant
                                                    @dullnote

Neil I will look into the back up of the purchased mags, just in case PM closes down

Nicholas Farr
                                                    Participant
                                                      @nicholasfarr14254
                                                      Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/10/2016 17:03:05:

They are pirate copies and we've had t move mountains to get eBay to pull them.

Use the money to upgrade to a digital sub and get access to the online archive and help me feed two dogs and a cat.

Neil

Hi Neil, it still looks as if they are available XXXX

Regards Nick.

<Thought I ought to remove the link – we don't want to promote people who are pirating our magazines!>

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 29/10/2016 21:43:16

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)