Diesel

Advert

Diesel

Home Forums The Tea Room Diesel

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    V8Eng
    Participant
      @v8eng
      On Vic Said:
      On V8Eng Said:

I read an article yesterday that showed burning waste in incinerators to produce electricity is producing close to the amount of pollution as the coal we used to burn!
      The story was on the BBC web but I was unable to link that.

Perhaps all we’ve proved with our industrial history is that the Luddite types were right after all.

I find it increasingly difficult to believe anything the BBC say these days but I’m sure I saw another reference to this topic somewhere that said something similar.

With all the stuff out there and self proclaimed experts on just about everything available on the Net etc finding any truth is becoming more & more difficult.

At least the BBC must be doing something right because so many organisations and people with opposing views to each other all seem to say the BBC is biased and supports the other side’s views.

Advert
      Howard Lewis
      Participant
        @howardlewis46836

EU proposed regulation to paint hot surfaces yellow, is not a myth.

I was a member of the Heritage Railways Association, visiting the E U Parliament building, when the matter was being discusssed.

Thanks to pressure from sensible M E Ps, commonsense prevailed.

Politicians are good at making promises for others to keep. Often resulting from, at best, a lack of understanding, but being keen to be seen to be doing “something”.

I’ll guarantee that those insisting on a tenfold decrease in particulate emissions, in a years time, had ABSOLUTELY no idea what was involved in complying with that legislation.

“But look how “green” I am”  Definiterly, but not the definition of green that they thought!

Howard

not done it yet
        Participant
          @notdoneityet
          On V8Eng Said:
          On Vic Said:
          On V8Eng Said:

I read an article yesterday that showed burning waste in incinerators to produce electricity is producing close to the amount of pollution as the coal we used to burn!
          The story was on the BBC web but I was unable to link that.

Perhaps all we’ve proved with our industrial history is that the Luddite types were right after all.

I find it increasingly difficult to believe anything the BBC say these days but I’m sure I saw another reference to this topic somewhere that said something similar.

With all the stuff out there and self proclaimed experts on just about everything available on the Net etc finding any truth is becoming more & more difficult.

At least the BBC must be doing something right because so many organisations and people with opposing views to each other all seem to say the BBC is biased and supports the other side’s views.

Not bothered to read it myself.  Was there any reference to how much of the incinerated waste was actually plastics?  A lot was likely waste that would be anaerobically reduced to methane in many land-fill sites and lost to the atmosphere.  Methane is a worse greenhouse gas than CO2, so better to burn it usefully (to provide high grade energy for the grid.  What is the alternative to incineration?

Leaving it to remain in land-fill sites for many years to come?  I happen to think that’s not a good plan.  I’ve been around our nearest incineration plant.  Cleaner than any waste tip at a land-fill site, very much regulated on emissions – and they would not admit drivers, who parked frontwards, from the carpark until they re-parked by reversing into the parking bays.  I like that, especially when there are notices to instruct drivers how they ate expected to park.🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 76 through 78 (of 78 total)