Devon clocks the sea clock and Congreve rolling ball

Advert

Devon clocks the sea clock and Congreve rolling ball

Home Forums Introduce Yourself – New members start here! Devon clocks the sea clock and Congreve rolling ball

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    flavell8888@gmail.com
    Participant
      @flavell8888gmail-com

Hi all. I am not a horologist but I am fascinated by clockwork. I have converted my garage into a small workshop. I am ex REME. I bought a Devon sea clock about 15 years ago and struggled to get the clock to keep going it was committed to the attic. Since my retirement from manufacturing windows I have been taking on repair jobs for my local community some of which have been clocks. I have now retrieved the sea clock from the attic and after stripping the clock down completely have realised what cased the problem and the clock is now ticking away quite happy. I am now adjusting the time and are happy with the results. I also have a Devon clocks Congreve rolling ball clock belonging to a family member that has teeth missing from both of the mainspring barrels. I am looking for replacement barrels, can anybody help.

Advert
      bernard towers
      Participant
        @bernardtowers37738

Not impossible to silver solder a section in and clean up ready for recutting the teeth. try your local ME club for help.

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Welcome to the forum … and congratulations on your success.

Sorry, [apart from the obvious *] … I can’t think where you might find direct replacement barrels for the ‘Devon’ Congreve … but if you post some pictures and dimensions, one of us might be able to suggest something.

What tools/machinery do you have ?

MichaelG.

[*]
          https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01731723

Edit: __ My posting crossed with Bernard’s

Michael Gilligan
          Participant
            @michaelgilligan61133
            SillyOldDuffer
              @sillyoldduffer

Could try HS Walsh, who carry replacement barrels, example here.

barrel

I’ve no idea if the size and tooth counts available will match your clock, fingers crossed!

Otherwise, repair by soldering on new brass and filing to shape.   Skilled work needing practice so don’t jump straight in.   As acquiring the tools and experience may be more trouble than it’s worth for a few odd jobs, could be one for a professional clock repairer.   But it’s certainly do-able if you have time, enthusiasm and steady hands!

Dave

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)