Cylinder honing?

Advert

Cylinder honing?

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Cylinder honing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bo’sun
    Participant
      @bosun58570

Good afternoon,

I want to hone a 1/2″ dia x 2″ brass cylinder.  I found a commercial hone that apparently went down to 1/2″, but on receiving it, the honing stones measured 0.550″ across the corners, so clearly it was never going to fit.  Apart from that, the quality was somewhat questionable.

What recommendations do you good folks have for a home made 1/2″ hone?

Thanks.

Advert
      Juddy
      Participant
        @juddy

I haven’t seen a hone that small apart from a flexi hone type which are very expensive for what they are: https://www.mscdirect.co.uk/abrasives/bonded/honing-tools/brm-flexhone-12in-180-grit-silicon-carbide-flexible-honing-tool-fxh-18014m

but I have used a slotted stick and emery paper. Saw a stick down from one end to give a slot and poke a couple of pieces of fine emery paper in back to back then rotate in the bore – should clean it up nicely

Clive Brown 1
        Participant
          @clivebrown1

Some useful notes on cylinder honing here. https://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,1908.30.html.

JasonB
            @jasonb

As Juddy says the slotted stick or tube with abrasive round it works well, good enough to leave the rings out of an IC engine and still have plenty of compression for it to run.

At those sizes you are probably getting into lapping territory, for that you can make fancy expanding laps but depending on use may be able to get by turning a piece of hardwood to a tight fit in your bore, charging it with a mix of silicon carbide powder and oil and then just running the cylinder up and down that a sit rotates.

Here is one done with abrasive round a tube. drops easily when the port is open, yet nice slow drop when I cover the port. No oil to help the seal just metal on metal.

The trunk guid ethat goe swith that engine had the wooden lap treatment

20240621_105427

And all seems to work OK

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)