crank journal

Advert

crank journal

Home Forums I/C Engines crank journal

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bricky
    Participant
      @bricky

Is stainless steel acceptable for a crank journal with phospher bronze bushes on the crank.

Advert
      duncan webster 1
      Participant
        @duncanwebster1

As no one else is chipping in, here’s my two pennorrh. You’d have been better using leaded bronze for the bush. Phos bronze is harder, so for bearings it’s better to use a hardened shaft. However if you’re not going to run it much you’ll probably get away with un- hardened, but what grade of stainless are we talking about?

Harry Wilkes
        Participant
          @harrywilkes58467

Bricky

I can’t fully answer your question but when I was making a new crank for my 3″ Burrell I was advised against using stainless steel

H

duncan webster 1
          Participant
            @duncanwebster1

Perhaps we should find out what material pair the navy are using on their aircraft carrier prop shafts , and then use something else

bricky
            Participant
              @bricky

I don’t know the grade of stainless but I am using up the stainless I obtained from a friends workshop ,if not advisable I will use silver steel instead and I will obtain some leaded bronze for the bushes.Tahnk you both for replying.

Howard Lewis
              Participant
                @howardlewis46836

I think that the problem with stainless steel is that it is not so tolerant where fatigue loading occurs.

It was always important to ensure that stainless car exhaust systems were not stressed when fitted (i.e. mountings correctly aligned). The DC stress of misalignment with the AC stress of vibration can bring the loads to the fatigue stress limit in one direction, leading to failure.

Howard

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)